Balancing Stretch

I’m currently going through images on my older computer and transferring some of them to my newer computer. I started out in photography shooting birds and while I still shoot birds I am mostly doing Landscape photography now. However, the last couple of months I have pulled out the 600mm beast and gone out shooting birds again. When I came across this image on the old computer, I thought I would process it and post it in the Avian section. Such a beautiful bird on such an ugly, rusty, metal, falling down fence post.
The white tail kite doesn’t seem bothered at all by it. :slight_smile:
I’ll be posting more bird images in the future as I’m getting more excited about a new/old niche for me. Shooting birds again.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all feedback is always welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D4s, ISO 1000, f/5.6 @ 1/1600 sec, 600mm lens

2 Likes

Wonderful! The perch may be man made, but at least it’s rusty and matches the BG. And the bird chose it, so that’s not completely artificial, is it? Nice handling of whites.

Isn’t it great to look back through old files, and especially when they trigger a new round of shooting. I’m curious as to your new computer. I’ve been struggling with a new M1Pro Mac – or with software glitches, features and a torrent of updates and bug fixes.

The light in this image is what makes it stand out for me. Yeah, the perch isn’t ideal, oh well.

Looking forward to seeing more of your older Avian images, and of course new ones!

I’m loving going back through older images to see what’s there, what hasn’t been processed and how bad I was at processing just a few years ago. Scary!
The system I purchased about 2 years ago is from a company called Puget Systems. They custom build your new PC from scratch and they even have a special build just for Lightroom and Photoshop users to get the most out of their systems. Here is a link to the PS build. I have an internal RAID setup as well as 64 GB of RAM. https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Photoshop-139
The nice thing is, they let you make whatever revisions you want to the base system for your own needs. They also follow up every day and take images of the build process letting you know where they are and at each stage of the assembly there is component testing. It’s not cheap but mine has been flawless and fast with no issues at all over the past couple of years. I am not a computer expert at all which is why I chose this company. It was the only one I could find that custom builds computers just for PS/LR users. You also have 24/7 customers support and it’s awesome from the reviews I’ve read. I have not had to use it but it’s nice to know that it’s there when you need it. Hope this helps.

Nice pose, look at the eye, and background. The post seems almost incidental and not a distraction.

I’ve heard great things about Puget Systems. When a Dell workstation died years ago, Vista had just come out and was a disaster, so I switched to Mac. Little did I know that the new Mac OS that had just come out as an equal disaster. Through the years as I have followed a friend’s travails with Windows (she is a retired IT person with a very big company) I’ll just stay where I am. Neither system is exactly wonderful, but if I were to switch back I would certainly look at Puget.

Outstanding detail, pose, and light. As others have stated, the bird chose the perch. The colors are superb. The perch is a diagonal component which adds to the comp.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions @Diane_Miller , @Keith_Bauer , @Allen_Brooks , @David_Schoen . I know the perch is not ideal and I almost posted this in the human Fauna section but at the last minute I thought it wasn’t so bad. It kind of fits with the overall color scheme. I’m glad none of you mind it. Thanks again for your input. I do appreciate it and, I’m actually having fun going through my old images and seeing what I missed and more importantly, how bad I was at processing a few years ago. :grin: