Lunch Time!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was driving along a road that is somewhat of a preserve and saw this Kestrel hawk on the wire. I have no idea how they can balance on a wire and eat, but he sure did.

Specific Feedback

I feel the sky is so bland and it takes away from the image, but the day was gray. And, if there were clouds, would that have been a distraction then? Sometimes you just get what you get. It was fun to watch him.

Technical Details

f6.3, ISO 640, 1/320 sec

Hi Judi, :slight_smile:

Yeah, they are incredibly amazing creatures to say the least!

The BG looks natural and typical for the sky conditions mentioned, so for me, it’s perfect, especially with a story like this, this image is telling a very compelling story of hunting, eating habits and the habitat of the predator as well as the circle of life for predator and prey.
I’m inclined to think that clouds might take away from the story so to me this is great as presented. :slight_smile:

The main thing is that you enjoyed the event and that you decided to share it with us :slight_smile:

Thank you! It was taken in January also, and for us, that is bland skies for the most part. It was incredible to watch him. Mostly, the balancing on a wire, eating and not falling off. If it were me, I would have dropped my food and fell off the wire. I’m graceful like that. LOL :slight_smile:

Hi Judy. I’m not bothered by the sky. It is nice to get some other kind of background, but sometimes you just can’t. I would suggest posting larger files. Most monitors these days are at least 2k so posting at 1000 pixels wide your image gets enlarged a bit and starts to look less sharp. To my eye, the Kestrel looks just a bit soft, like maybe the focus was on the tail tip or the wire. (hard to tell which, but certainly the wire would be a magnet for most AF systems. You didn’t ask about the composition, but this feels to me as if there’s more empty space than needed on both sides. I’d be inclined to crop in about half way to the wire on both ends.

You don’t mention what camera or focal length you were at, but 1/320 is usually a pretty low shutter speed for bird photographs unless you’re on a good tripod. I think you could have increased your iso considerably which would let you jack up the shutter speed to get a crisper image. On this side of the mountains I usually seem to be at iso 2000 and up and it still works with modern software and sensors.

I like the action and as Merv noted, the story told, and you caught a great head turn that works well with the angle you had to shoot at. Thanks for posting this and I look forward to seeing more.

Hey, Judi. As wildlife photographers, we must take what is given, and I feel you did the best you could given the circumstances. Clouds may or may not have added to the visual interest of the photo. I agree with @Dennis_Plank that a faster shutter speed would have benefited you. Still, it’s a cool look at this Kestrel and its rather large prey! Always nice to tell a ‘nature in action’ story.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback. I have read it through and will use your suggestions when I shoot birds next. Not really being a bird photographer, I’m still learning when I do come across the smaller birds. I know I was shooting with my 600 mm lens and I couldn’t get out of my car b/c he would have flown off. I will try the crop as you mentioned as well. Thanks again very much.

Thank you. Yes, I see the softness more so now, around the head. Thanks for chiming in. Still learning on capturing these little guys. Some are so flightly, like you even think about taking a picture, and they are gone. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I can’t tell you how many times, just as I was ready to snap the shot, the bird took off, leaving me photographing air!

1 Like

Or the tail feathers only! lol

1 Like

Hi Judi, from my experience this is a very tough bird to catch with a photo. I have tried and come up with nothing every time. So big congrats on getting this one and with prey no less. Agree with Dennis on the technical advice. Great to see this bird - thanks for posting!

Thanks so much for the kind words. I have been lucky enough to get a few. Usually in the spring. And usually when I surprise them as much as being surprised by them, get a shot, and they are gone. Lol. That’s my luck. :blush: