White-throated Sparrow

A common winter visitor to Oklahoma.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom @ 180mm, f/5.6, 1/250 sec., ISO 250, Handheld. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

2 Likes

Very nice look at the sparrow. I like the rocky perch and the dead leaf gives a seasonal context. I’d be tempted to clone out the isolated twigs in the upper left corner.

The colors in the environment work very well with the sparrow. I love the brown leaves! I agree with @Allen_Brooks on the branches, and wonder if you might have gone in tighter on the zoom to give the sparrow a little more prominence in the frame. If the sharpness of the lens holds up at 300mm, more pixels on the subject is usually better than cropping.

Thanks @Allen_Brooks . I considered removing those before posting, and probably should have.

Thanks, @Diane_Miller. Unfortunately, this lens is not one of the more sophisticated Zooms Canon makes. It’s sweet spot seems to be from 150-225mm, and it starts dropping off after that, becoming really soft at full focal range. However, I probably could have zoomed a bit more.

This is a nicely composed environmental image. Good light and detail. I like the head turn and the pose. I agree about cropping out the sticks crossing the body and the head. Maybe a lot of work but it could be worth it.

1 Like