Winter Dune

I ventured to a provincial park on the shore Lake Huron on a cold January day. There was some cloud cover and the winter sun stays low in the sky. We’ve not had a lot of snow this year and I studied the dunes from the boardwalk or the shore. The dunes are delicate ecosystem so I didn’t wander through the dunes. I’ve recently purchased a long zoom lens (200-600) for wildlife but decided to use it to isolate some interesting scenes. You can see a hint of the sand mixing with the snow in certain places.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback would be appreciated. There are 1 or two items on the right hand side that I might consider cloning out. Generally, I don’t clone much in my landscape work but consider using it carefully in certain circumstances.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
1/15 f16, iso100. 200mm on a full frame.

@bryannelsonca

Intriguing and really beautiful. Thank you for not stomping in there instead shooting with the long lens. Something I sometimes have to remind myself of - tread lightly or not at all. Mostly it’s bogs or similar down this way.

The varying shades in the sand is really nice and you could, very slightly, emphasize it if you wanted to. Taking the darker bits down a little bit and possibly taming the highlights in the upper portion. Nice light, too. It brings up the texture in the sand without overwhelming the delicacy of the image.

Oh this is excellent. I’m a sucker for such compositions and this is one. By ‘these compositions’ I mean ones where the composition is so strong that the image goes back and forth between an abstraction and reality. I probably would have gone with a cooler cast but there is really no good reason to do so. I love the fact that the snow is not all a similar white tonal value but has the large central off-white area. It gives the image richness and complexity. The only nit I have for this is that the twigs in the upper left are leaving the image out of the frame. But I do like their presence because they balance darker clumps on the right and without it the large amount of light tones on the left is too much. All in all, as you look at this you realize how much thought and decision making went into what appears to be a simple composition.

I love the way the shades from the sand creates a mosaic of whites, off-whites, and tans. And the light tan colored sand/snow is a color that really complements the colors of the grasses. There are some subtle nuances of color and texture here that combine for a very interesting image. I also think your composition has done a good job of balancing the grasses across the image, it keeps my eye engaged throughout the entire scene. Nicely done Bryan.

I’m really enjoying this image Bryan. Everything is very subtle from the soft textures in the grasses to the creams and tans of the sand and snow. I really love the clump of sand in the LRC.

I honestly can’t think of a way to improve on this very much. This is really a very small nit pick, but right along the right edge about half way down, there is a blade of grass that is running parallel to the right side of the frame that could be cloned out. The other grasses poking in from the right side are totally fine as they are more at an angle. Also, down in the lower left corner, there is a long blade of grass that shoots straight up through almost half of the image. Again, this is a very, very small nit pick but you could clone out half of that blade. Beautiful, well composed image in perfect light.

I find this to be quite striking. To me there is a pleasing tension between order and disorder if that makes any sense.