Winter Pond #3

Invariably, when the summer starts to wear on me, I’ll troll the winter archives to see if I missed anything or just didn’t feel the love upon first viewing.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome. Specifically wondering about the brown grasses in the LLC - do they feel too prominent because they’re warmer than the rest of the frame (well, maybe I answered my own question).

Technical Details

a7r3, 105mm, f/16, 1s, ISO 100, on a tripod for a change.

2 Likes

Hi Bonnie,

Well, I’ll just come right out and say it, this one isn’t grabbing me like just about everything else you’ve posted. A bit busy (and sometimes that’s the point - the chaos…). Up top there’s a couple things in the bg that complicate the upper part of the scene. In the water, a few “floaters”, especially LR - and the algae/moss in that area isn’t attractive.

Actually the brown grass in the LL I think works well as presented; it’s color/tone isn’t a distraction to the overall image - at least for me. I also have mixed response on the tree reflection. The main reflection is soft, like there’s motion on the water’s surface - which is pretty cool - on the other hand, it looks soft where the rest of the image has sharper details.

I do think the center area, including some of the random twigs and such is the best and the area of the image that keeps my interest. And so… thinking of that, perhaps a somewhat strong vignette could do some good here. Just a thought.

Hope I wasn’t too hard for the first comment on your post.

Lon

This tree has quite aa personality, doesn’t it? It’s quite cocky. That’s no shrinking violet. The fading reflection works quite well also. The composition is quite strong with that dominant V crossing from frame to frame. It’s a pretty ambitious image. There’s the interplay of sharpness vs blur in many places that invite exploration. It’s an image that takes an investment of time to understand what you’re getting at. That’s how I see it.

Thanks, @Lon_Overacker - no worries - I have a very thick skin when it comes to critique, and I didn’t think that this one would be a show stopper. I think the “floaters” in the LR are moving bubbles. I agree that the algae may not be attractive to most folks, but I rather liked the color in the scene. There was motion on the water surface, as it was raining. It made for an interesting smooth texture on the otherwise still water.

@Igor_Doncov, thanks - I’m glad you think the composition works (more or less).

And chaos vs. calm - I think that’s what attracts me to these kinds of scenes, that interplay of opposing ideas.

This works pretty great for me, the grass doesn’t distract. I like how the lines all lead somewhere interesting starting with the bottom right going up. My only concern is that it kind of leads you up… and then totally out of the frame. Maybe a crop would help with that.

Thanks, @Matt_Payne. Yes, that URC does have that one smaller branch that is close to the edge and heads right out. Good call.

1 Like