Winter portrait

From the comments on my image of a wild boar in winterI learned that images of these animals are rarely shown, therefore another one of the series I made last winter. A 7x6 crop of a portrait of one of the boars, searching for food in the snow.

Specific Feedback Requested

The animals were constantly moving, impatiently sniffing in the snow on the search for food. There is no more information in the RAW file on the upper and right side of the image, unfortunately. I wasn’t fast enough to capture the whole animal, zooming out would have been sufficient. The result is this portrait in a rather tight crop.
Any comment is welcome, but especially about the crop.

Technical Details

Pentax K3 Mk.III, Sigma 4/100-300mm @300mm, ISO3200, 1/250s. f/5.6. RAW conversion in DxO PL5, nothing special in the processing except some curve adjustment and dodging of the eye.

1 Like

I think you can further improve this image by adding some more canvas on bottom side, if you have it in the original capture and you may crop out small canvas on RHS which represents snow between the right most leg and border.
Or alternately you may crop vertical frame from this.

Thank you @JRajput for your suggestion, much appreciated.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing more of your wild boar photos, Han! I love seeing him/her so close up. I feel like I can touch the bristly fur! It would be really awesome like @JRajput said with added space at the bottom. Beautiful capture!

Thank you @Vanessa_Hill for your comment!
I followed your and Jagdeeps suggestions, but went a little further. I cropped more drastically and almost whitened out the snow. This results is some sort of hight contrast, high key image.
Any comment welcome.

3 Likes

Yes! I really like the even closer crop and the added snow looks really good. It’s more balanced and the whiter snow does give it more contrast. Very artistic looking! Great work!

Hi Han, great catch of this boar with the fur so wonderfully shown. I prefer the rendition of the snow in the original image showing detail there. I do like the extra space on bottom. A fine image.

Thank you @Allen_Sparks for your comments!

I really like your repost, Han. The higher key snow works much better as does the tighter crop. A fine image.

I think the cropped imaged is much better. It really brings you into the boars head quicker. I can’t make up my mind about the color of the snow, but I think I’m leaning toward the whiter snow in the cropped image. It brings out the boar more. Nice job. That must have been an exciting shot to take.

1 Like

Thank you, @Donna_Callais . Glad you like the image.
It was exciting indeed, since a group of boars were digging in the snow for food. But their attention was directed to that activity, not the photographer. If you encounter a mother with youngsters however, you better be careful.