Winter Sunset on Sandstone Fins and La Sal Mountains

Describe what it was like? Let’s see, it was cold and windy, and this was my 7th attempt in three weeks to create this image. Seriously though, I’ve wanted to photograph this scene for at least a decade but never prioritized it. About three weeks ago I decided to make it a priority and every time the conditions looked promising, I went out. On my previous six attempts I got shut out but on this one, last week, everything lined up. Funny thing is, I almost didn’t go because I’d just returned from a work trip and had to wake up at 0200 for a flight, leaving my energy levels dangerously low. I rallied though, and I sure am glad I did. Worth it? :wink:

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Truly, there is nothing I would change. Over the last three weeks I experimented with a variety of compositions, and obviously had all kinds of different weather conditions, but this is exactly what I’d visualized. Love to hear your thoughts, though.

Technical Details

Sony A7IV (loving this camera, btw)
Tamron 28-200mm lens @ 147mm (loving this lens & really need to write a review of it)
ISO 100
f/11
1/100s
Processed in Lightroom

This is strikingly beautiful Bret and so worth the effort you put into this! I love the juxtaposition of the warm coloured rounded rocks against the cooler, jagged and angular peaks in the back. It’s such an interesting interplay. Oh and the cotton puff ball cloud in the center just above the peaks – I love that!

Technically, I don’t think there’s anything to criticize either. So yeah, really well done.

On a side note, it’s interesting that you shot this with a super-zoom lens. I’ve always shied-away from these lenses thinking they were too much of a compromise but it seems more and more people are now using them.

Beautiful image, Bret. Snow and sandstone make for wonderful combinations. I, too, was lucky enough to be around after a snowstorm and it was magical. Great light creates appealing abrupt shadows and this shows that well. The only suggestion might be to crop out a great deal of the sky (right above the highest peaks). Another idea would be to brighten up the snow on those distant peaks so that they separate from the clouds more. Make peaks contrasty and the clouds fuzzy.

Thank you, @Igor_Doncov and @Tom_Nevesely.

Tom: I bought this lens as an all-rounder so I could bring my camera with me on business trips and I didn’t have the highest of expectations for image quality, but this thing is tack sharp. Seems to maintain sharpness throughout the focal length, too. My only complaint is that the AF is too slow for mountain biking but for landscape and travel, it’s money well spent.

Wonderful contrast between warm and cold in this image, Brett. The mountains in the distance are especially lovely to me!

Bret, this was well worth the sacrifice of numerous previous trips. I love the layers from warm to cool. Nothing to change as you said. It’s awesome.

Brett,

Gorgeous landscape! The dusting of snow really elevates this of course contrasting beautifully with the sandstone and mountain landscape. Kudos for recognizing the possibilities and for the persistence in going after your vision. It certainly all came together for you!

I really like the sky and you’re fortunate to have a line of clouds up top to kind of contain it - if that makes sense. I do like Igor’s idea of puching up the whites of the snow peaks just to stand out a little more (we’re talking skosh amount…)

The layers or zones captured here are giving these great depth. A solid foregournd (missing that Jeep Grand Cherokee for scale… ha ha), near midground and far midground, then bg mountains and final background of sky and clouds. Terrific.

Only suggestion I have might be to slightly burn down the larger sandstone formations on the left to help keep the eye the frame. Minor thought.

Just beautiful Brett.

Lon

My only other suggestion

Thank you for the comments and suggestions, everyone.

@Lon_Overacker I like the idea of burning down the larger sandstone fin on the left. I’ll give that a shot tonight.

1 Like

Really loving the layers that are so well defined in this landscape, Bret. really nice depth! I agree with burning in the left sandstone a tad, but what a lovely scene to finally have captured!

Thank you, @brenda_tharp. I did burn that fin and it does look better. Thanks for the suggestion!