Wood Violets

Description:

A cluster of wild Wood Violets, found while hiking to Pulpit Falls in southern New Hampshire. @Kris_Smith will know where that is. I liked the semi-abstract look of the pattern of flowers, even though there is no real center of interest in the image, other than the overall pattern itself.

Specific Feedback Requested:

any critique or comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

Canon 5D MK3, Canon 24-105mm lens, at 105 mm, ISO 100, 1.6 sec at f11

1 Like

I certainly do, Ed. Recently I did one similar to this with some bloodroot, but it isn’t as good - the density of leaves and how they contrast with the flowers makes this work. The repeating patterns and textures plus the raindrops - excellent! A humble violet elevated to art. If you felt ambitious you could clone in some leaves from other parts of the image to cover the brown leaves. It’s a harmonious image despite its inherent business - but that’s how nature is.

Very nice! No center of attention needed for a good pattern/mosaic. The greens are bold but not overdone, the leaves lovely, the flowers and droplets both provide a sprinkle of wonderful elements.

@Kris_Smith @Diane_Miller

thank you for comments, I’m glad that you enjoyed my offering of humble violets.

Kris, I found these violets while doing some off-trail exploring near Pulpit Falls. I’ve often seen small patches of these violets near streams. But I found an unusually large patch of them in a wet area in the woods. I’ve never seen so many in one place before.

That is huge. I always meant to explore near Pulpit Falls more, but I didn’t get the chance. There were a few different trails snaking off the main one and once a friend and I explored after some heavy rains and saw what might have been another small cascade above the main one. It was too wet and tangled to get there though. We even drove around to another road to see if we could get in there, but we couldn’t. I’ll have to share some shots of it here since it is a lovely little fall.

Those ferns in the LR suggest another image search here!

Do you mean like this ?

YES!! And now I’ll spend the rest of the day enjoying your web site!!!

Very nice.

I see no need for a “center of attention” - the whole frame is the center of attention. It’s a pattern, a tessellation without it being tessellated.

Namaste

1 Like

I love the delicate, soothing feel of this image. And I agree with those who say it does not need a central “subject”. It’s fine as it is.