Woodland Trillium

In the spring, I kept visiting a local park to watch the progress of the early wildflowers. I think this was an evening after work. The light was fading behind the hills, but it seems to have been an advantage. I liked how these two blooms aligned.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

I don’t have the metadata with this specific image, but I’m sure this was taken with my 90mm macro. It was most likely taken handheld with a slightly faster shutter speed to avoid shake.

2 Likes

oh lovely light! I’ve always been partial to the OOF echo with flower photography and you’ve framed the leading bud so nicely with the leaf in the back. I miss trillium with color that I used to see in New Hampshire so this is a welcome treat. My only thought is that it seems a tad on the magenta side, but it could be that the far background really was that color.

@Kris_Smith I see what you mean, I think. Some of it may be the light the way it is coming through, but that could possibly use a little tint shift. I felt like the colors of the trillium and leaves were fairly accurate, so I don’t think I made much adjustment with that. I’ll have to look at tweaking it, maybe locally.

I think this is the only color of trillium I’ve seen here. It’s a nice rich color, but I’ve seen photos of some beautiful colors elsewhere also.

Beautiful, Karla. I have never seen a magenta trillium, in fact I’ve only seen a few white ones. Not too many of them in the hill country of Texas so this is a special treat for me. I love the soft feel and how the leaf in the LRC pulls my eyes into the bud. Nicely done.

@linda_mellor Thank you, Linda! I tried to be conscious of my composition, but I have to confess that some of it is probably on accident. I did try to work with how the leaves were positioned with the edges. These are quite a deep burgundy-ish color with a black center. They don’t really seem to open all the way up like I’ve seen in other trillium images, but maybe I just didn’t catch them at the right time. They get more open like a tulip, rather than flat against the leaves as I’ve seen a lot of white ones. Those are also beautiful!

Karla, this is a fine Trillium pair, that look like Toad Trillium (Trillium sessile). Since these are a plant of “rich woods”, it’s likely that you’ve also got Indian Pipe, just later in the year. The soft light really lets the details show.

@Mark_Seaver I wondered what the official name was for this trillium. Thank you. It does sound like we should have Indian Pipe. I’ll have to do a better job of looking in the fall. The early flowers are so much easier to spot since they appear before most of the low growth.

Very nice shot of this beautiful flower. I think the blur you captured is perfect. The second mirrored bud makes this unique for me. Great job!

Gorgeous, both the subject and your image! I love the composition of the leaves and buds, and the OOF “echo” is very nice!

I’ve only seen white Trillium, and only a few times. It’s a lovely plant – I hope we’ll get to see more of it!

@Donna_Callais Thank you!

@Diane_Miller Thank you, Diane. Now that I’ve spent more time in this little local woodland/nature preserve, I’m hoping to keep it up. There may be more of these, as I experiment in the spring. This is the only color I’ve seen here so far.