Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

Project Description

This project touches me personally because I know that people in my community lost their homes while I made photographs. I feel their loss when I look at my photographs. I titled this project ‘end of days’ in tribute to their losses, their lives that are forever changed, their homes and possessions prematurely ended.

2020 was a horrific year for wildfires both nationwide and locally to my hometown of Boulder, Colorado, USA. Late in the afternoon of October 17, the Calwood Fire broke out in the Rocky Mountain foothills only a few miles from my home. Fueled by strong west winds and dry conditions, the fire grew at 1,000 acres per hour, necessitating evacuations as it consumed homes and structures. My own home was outside the projected path but the smoke towered overhead. I felt fear and uncertainty as I had never been as near to the path of a wildfire.

As the skies darkened, the light dimmed, and smoke rolled over the landscape at eye level and obscured visibility, my photography radar piqued and I foresaw a once-in-a-lifetime photo opportunity develop. Without any hesitation, I grabbed my camera gear and raced to a nearby wildlife habitat and nature preserve, a bit nervous and excited for what I might encounter.

I had been visiting the preserve for a couple years for both recreation and photography and knew it well. As a reclaimed gravel quarry, it hosts a mix of open meadows, forest stands, topographic mounds, ponds, and trails. The landscape had become familiar to me over the years and I anticipated interesting photography under unique conditions.

As the clock ticked toward sunset, the light transformed through a surreal spectrum of colors, the smoke descended to ground level, and the particulates of ash began to fall. I wished for goggles for my burning eyes. A spooky apocalyptic atmosphere surrounded me. I moved hurriedly through the dense smoke to an elevated mound and lost sight of distant features. I couldn’t have asked for anything more characteristically hellish without actual danger.

I composed various photographs of the unfolding scenes when, just before sunset, the sun began to drop below the belly of the overhead smoke cloud. It appeared as a glowing red dot, oddly dull and bright at the same time. With only minutes to work, I composed the leading image of this series to layer the landscape, filling the frame with the trees, dormant grasses, and dense smoke before the sun set.

According to the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office, the Calwood Fire burned 10,113 acres, had 26 structures lost or damaged, and took nearly a month to reach 100% containment. It caused the evacuation of 4,925 homes and structures, with evacuation warnings sent to another 4,773 contacts. Fortunately, there were no fatalities resulting from the fire. The cause of the fire is still undetermined.

Self Critique

I like that I successfully captured the smoke as it hung over the trees and that it diffuses the elements across the landscape.
I like that I gave the trees some space in some of the frames to enable the smoky atmosphere to show.
I wish I could have captured more variety during the peak of the dense smoke, but it was so fleeting. I’m happy I got what I got.

Creative Direction

I am aiming for a communication of the hazard of the smoke, the telling of the story of smoke on this landscape. It was an apocalyptic scene. I’m not sure I convey it sufficiently.

Specific Feedback

I would welcome any and all feedback on this project, including:
Aesthetic: Does the project convey the suffocating effect of the smoke and it’s connection to trees on fire?
Conceptual: Does the project convey a smoke-filled scene? Do any of the images fail to fit the theme of ‘Trees’ as described below in the first intent?
Technical: During image editing, I attempted to equalize the natural orange color of light across all images to unify the set, although minor deviations remain. Does that bother you or are you ok with the differences in color among the images?

Intent of the project

Gallery Exhibition

Additional Details: The intent with this set is multi-fold:

1. I am selecting 3 of these for submission into a group show on the broad theme of ‘Trees.’ The exhibition prospectus didn’t offer much more to go on for selecting which images to submit, so which 3 would you select as artistic images and why? Which images do not fit the theme?
  2. In addition to a narrowly focused gallery submission on trees, I am also creating a pdf of this project on the broader theme of the fire to include more images not shown here.
  3. I may submit to a contemporary landscape photography publication.

Powerful project, Matt. Very dramatic and full of emotion, at least for me. I was in Estes Park in October of 2020. While I don’t believe the two fires were connected, the entire town of Estes was on mandatory evacuation. We had no time to even think, just leave. The only shot I got was as we were leaving town, I took a snap looking at the outside mirror reflecting on the town behind me. Makes me very sad. For me, your project does reflect the feelings and devastation I felt that day.
The lighting works for me as it is exactly what I saw that day. As for which to select for submission; Number 1 and 7 for sure. The others have the same weight for me.
Love your concept and wish you the best as it goes forward.

1 Like

@linda_mellor, Thank you for your comments. I had no idea you were experiencing the day in a similar way. That day was memorable for many of us for many reasons, and for some will be sad. Since you didn’t mention you lost your home or property I assume you were among the fortunate ones, as was I. I’m very pleased to hear my images conjure your memories accurately, both emotionally and historically - that gives me more confidence that I can achieve my goals with the project.

1 Like

I did forget to mention we were visiting family, who thankfully, whose home and property were spared from the devastation. Still a very sad day for all.

1 Like

Great project Matt. This series evokes so many emotions and impressions. You really caught the colors of the smoke filled area well. It is at the same time an alarming, sobering, saddening and powerful reminder of the devastation and reality of wildfires in the Western US. Dry summers with thunderstorms are a reality. Unfortunately careless people too often produce the same results.

1 Like

Thank you, @Ed_Williams. I appreciate the time you took to look over the project. This project has stirred emotions in people. I wouldn’t call myself a documentary photographer or journalist, but that’s what this work is. Normally, I’m attempting to find interesting elements of nature and photograph them as art so I am personally gratified to receive the positive support for these images as a moving and emotional work. Thanks again.

You’re welcome @Matt_Lancaster. I forgot to put in my picks for your display. Definitely 1 & 7, and I also think 2 isvery strong. Good luck.

1 Like

I didn’t get that immediately. The message as I understand it is one of fear and grief but what I see are compositions of beauty. My first reaction was that some of these images had the beauty of a Japanese landscapes and was going to suggest that they be lightened to emphasize the delicate trees and branches. As I write this I am criticizing myself as that is what my reaction was to my own work of the fire that devastated the woods along the Mackenzie River, Oregon a couple of years ago.

Regarding the project - images 6 and 7 are somewhat different than the rest. Image 7 is quite beautiful, though. Well, they’re all really beautiful.

@Igor_Doncov , Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I am honored that you think of these as compositions of beauty. Perhaps that was my default processing mode yet I was trying to communicate the ominous and eerie atmosphere. I guess I failed beautifully.

Could you please point me to examples of the Japanese paintings you refer to? I am either unaware or forgetful. Probably the latter.

@Matt_Lancaster , I too saw a Japanese style landscape with Image 1. The Red Sun combined with the delicate, fine branches in Image 1 are the classic Japanese elements that speak to me, along with the simple composition. I share Igor’s take with this series, that they just all look beautiful with the orange/brown tone to them, despite what actually happened with all the loss. Great series.

Hi Matt,
This is an emotionally moving project. I recognized it immediately for its subject, but not exactly where. Wildfire haze is becoming ubiquitous and many have experienced it’s hazy chokehold. I was particularly moved by the stacked wood image (#5) and what looks like a wetlands or creek (#6). The stacked wood is so evocative of what is to come, the future a sacrifice and burnt offering. Image 6 connects the wildfire smoke to its possible source: dry, sere land, water levels falling, and the land’s vulnerability. I’ve been working on a similar (if more abstract) project since 2020. This is an important story we tell - in the news on bad air quality days, we mostly see images of orange cities and hardly any from natural areas. I think it is all the more ominous to showcase nature experiencing the same dangers. Intriguing project, are you planning on building on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvDJFxnXlsU