Yellowstone Grand Canyon

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any help welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any suggestions welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)sony a6500. 55-210 lense. 1/250. F 6.3 iso 100 . First time out with new camera

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Deb,

Welcome to NPN. I remember this area from my last trip to YNP. You captured some nice warm tones and textures on the rocks. Have you tried different crops of this scene to make the river more off center? Just an idea. I especially like the foreground elements in the scene…Jim

Hi Deb,

Welcome to the community. Yellowstone looks amazing, its a unique looking landscape.

My feedback is that it appears as though camera was not level when you made this shot. The river is slanted and defying gravity to my eye.

I’ve attempted to straighten the shot below.

First off welcome to the NPN community, Deb. I think you will find it to be a wonderful place to share your work and critique others as the photographers are a wonderful group of people willing to share their expertise. This is a wonderful first post giving us a glimpse of the Yellowstone River. The details are really nice and I am enjoying the earthtones of the canyon framing the river. I do like @Nathan_Klein’s rework as it places more emphasis on the river and the surrounding walls. I hope to see more of your participation.

Welcome aboard, Deb! Really nice view of the river and canyon. I like the winding river and the way it makes me wonder what lies beyond. I agree with @Nathan_Klein about giving the image a little CW rotation, but otherwise, it looks good to my eye. I look forward to seeing your participation in the forum. The more, the merrier.

Deb, welcome to NPN. This is a very nice look at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. The colors and textures in the canyon wall show well. Nathan’s bit of rotation seems right.

Deb, welcome to NPN, this is an excellent first post, thank you for sharing it with us. The colors of the canyon walls look great, are exactly as I remember them from my trips to Yellowstone. I like your composition, the S-curve of the river is nice, and the way the diagonal lines of the canyon walls point to the river.

I love the warm White Balance here on the canyon walls, the colors are rich, but not too saturated. If you wanted to try try to create a little more color contrast, you may want to consider selectively cooling down the water itself. I have done a rework to illustrate that effect. This provides a nice blue/yellow contrast.

Welcome to NPN. This is certainly a great first photograph. You processing is excellent. The image is indeed tilted as can be seen by the pines which normally grow straight up and down. But not always. Regardless, this is a really fine image. Having seen it I recall the earth having very warm colors in the canyon. I therefore prefer Nathan’s rework.