Yucca Plant Abstract, Arizona

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve been using in-camera movement to create abstracts for at least a decade, but sparingly. Recently, I started experimenting with it more often and on subjects I’d never considered before. While in Arizona over the holidays we camped in the deserts around Tucson for several nights. One morning, after photographing a mostly non-existent sunrise I found myself drawn to a number of yucca plants near our site. I started by photographing intimate landscapes of them, and then moved on to using in-camera movement, following the general direction of the yucca leaves. This is one of my favorites, although I have a few more I also find quite interesting.

Technical Details

Sony A7IV
Tamron 28-200mm lens at 200mm (amazing lens!)
ISO 50
f/13 @ 1/6 second
Handheld
Creatively processed in Lightroom Classic

1 Like

Bret, your image has a strong directional visual design to it. I like the layering of the leaves created by the camera movement. It gives the image energy. I also enjoy the creative freedom that ICM offers. A 4x5 or square crop may work nicely for your image over the tall vertical 3:2.

Very nice!! You captured/created some very interesting lines. I think a crop up from the bottom just enough to eliminate the hint of the lighter leaf is worth considering as an alternative.

Thank you for your comments, @Diane_Miller and @Alfredo_Mora. I’ll try the 4x5 crop from the bottom.