2 am in Iceland

The time of day when I imaged this at the Jokulsarlon Lagoon.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any appreciated.

Technical Details

D800, 24-70 f2…8, 6 sec., 1/40, iso50
Tripod

2 Likes

Well, this has to be seen large to really appreciate. The magenta sky mixed with the blue/green of the icebergs works well for me. The texture of the ice and the striations going through them tell a story. The dark volcanic dust trapped in the ice has been there for how long??
What a calm morning you had to shoot this. The composition works well for me. The two main icebergs are certainly different looking but seem connected and in a way almost look like transformers.
I only make this one observation. The color of the water on the left portion of the image could have more magenta reflecting from the sky. It looks a little on the yellow/brown side. Also, I might clone or crop out the rock formation on the very right side of the image about half way up. Beautiful scene Dan. You gotta love being able to shoot at 2am and still have light like this.

1 Like

Beautiful light and reflection, Dan. I agree with @David_Haynes this has to be seen large. Wonderful image all around.

Dan,

The color pallet here is what initially catches my eye, but then the subtle yet complimentary colors between the sky’s underlying red tones and the underlying green tones in the ice tie together so well. Then looking at the ice itself, and its surreal reflection in that perfectly still water takes this to another level. Its a stunning photo.

Wow, what spectacular color! The balance of shapes and light/dark is lovely. This is one of the most interesting iceberg photos I’ve seen. The dark rocks/dirt areas on the left and right near the horizon line don’t bother me because they balance each other.

Great combination of colours. The reflection adds a nice amount of symmetry to an otherwise busy scene. It would have been nice to see a bit more detail in the dark spot to the left, but this looks like a challenging HDR situation and if the choice was the sky or the detail under the berg I would also have gone for the sky. Nice detail and textures in the ice.

The color story here is quite pleasing with the green/turquoise and pink.

Dan,

Aside from the lovely colors captured here, I had a first impression that goes beyond color.

What I see is a sea serpent - or serpents. I envision them surfacing and submerging, slowly along - like a Lochness monster kinda thing.

No nits or suggestions. Enjoying this tremendously as presented.

Lon