2020 Year of valued lessons

Best thing about 2020, other than surviving it, is NPN and the warm engagements from the community. These images celebrate some of the highlight lessons gained.
My thanks to the community and to Dave Kingham.

End of Autumn - In response to this so-so image, @Igor_Doncov 's feedback was penetrating … a photograph should have soul. I took that to mean a voice that conveys beyond its physical aspects. See also @Guy_Tal 's essay in LensWork that arrived in my mailbox yesterday (paraphrasing Walt Whitman) “Photographer! beware lest your photographs are made in the spirit that comes from the study of pictures and technicalities – and not from the spirit that comes from the contact with real things themselves”

How 2020 Feels - With this image, I try to convey my fear and anger over the 2020 traumas of pandemic, racial reckoning, and powers that be.

Painted Hills Early Light - In contrast to my tendency toward graphic, angular, contrasty images, I was influenced by @Igor_Doncov @Adhika_Lie @Bonnie_Lampley and others to convey more nuance.

1 Like

I think your black and white image does have ‘soul’. As you said, it has a lot of emotion. Good job.

1 Like

How 2020 Feels definitely has a feel that we must run the gauntlet to get through the frame.

Thanks for the shout out. :slightly_smiling_face:

A fine job on all three of these image, Dick. The all speak very clearly to me in different ways. Very well done.

Dick, this is a fine collection. I’m enjoying the details and nuance in all three. The Painted Hills is an outstanding abstract.

A nice collection Dick! The “End of Autumn” shows two stages of Autumn and clearly represents the fade into Winter as the leaves wither and dry. I think #2 is a perfect representation of “How 2020 Feels”; dark & kind of scary with a tortured & fractured path and no end in sight! The lighting, textures, line and shapes in “Painted Hills Early Light” are just plain gorgeous. Well done on all 3!

All three are beautifull images Dick. The “End of Autumn” is a very detailed and sublime image, that leaf as so much “soul” as you refered. Congrats on the collection.

Muito obrigado @João_Ferrão The original post was not so sublime, so it is nice to hear such a reaction from an artist whom I respect so much.

Hmmmmm-- so much to choose from. The black and white middle image has lots of depth and texture. There’s a lot to like in excellent black and white photography like the image that you posted. Well done…Jim

This is a great collection Dick. The Painted Hills image is stunning, and is my favorite. It has a very organic feeling to it.

Dick, a great collection. The Painted Hill has nuances for sure, an excellent image.

A very nice trio of images from 2020, Dick. For me the light in #1 is more hopeful while the B&W #2 is dark and foreboding and represents 2020 perfectly. My favorite is #3 as I love all the diagonals and color palette and the lighting is sublime and has an air of mystery to it.