A Bridge To...with Repost

I have driven by and admired this bridge many times but on a recent snowy day I just had to stop and get an image. I always find woodland photography very challenging in trying to define a clear subject in what are usually very busy/chaotic backgrounds. Some fog around the bridge would have been great, maybe someday!

You may notice some “streakiness” (not sure what else to call it?) in the bridge and in the water, that was from the actively falling snow combined with the slow shutter speed.

Specific Feedback Requested

Thoughts on improvements in composition or editing techniques that might bring a bit more order to the chaos or any other opinions!

Technical Details

14-35@27mm, 2 secs, f11, ISO 100, on tripod, ND filter

2 Likes

Absolutely charming. Must be a dreamy place to walk. The composition looks balanced to me although I do wonder if there was a little more room on the left for the bridge. Could be there was something there in the way. Forests are messy, but the bridge definitely is the star here. The scrim of snow helps set it off well and I think the shutter speed works just fine here since there doesn’t seem to be too much character in the water itself and we wouldn’t want to be looking down there anyway. Do the trees actually bend away to the right like that or is it the lens? Hard to tell.

1 Like

Hi Pete,

I’m not aware of any techniques to add order to a chaotic scene but I don’t really find this scene chaotic, it’s more like a peaceful scene with complex details :smiley:

The only tip I can give is to blur the edge of the ice/snow where it meets the stream, the edge of the ice/snow is nice and sharp but it’s right against a very blurry and smooth stream of water and that causes the ice/snow to appear to be floating in mid-air.
I’ve shot several snow scenes with timed exposures like this and every time, the ice/snow seems to float above the water and the only fix I know of is to carefully blur the edge with a small blur tool in Ps.
Of course, most people wouldn’t really notice it unless they view it large and are looking at the fine details. It only stands out to me because I’ve shot timed exposures in ice/snow.

Very nice scene and the composition looks very pleasing to me! :slight_smile:

Nice work!

1 Like

Hi Pete,
I like this photo a lot. The framing of the bridge with the trees either side as well as the color of the bridge keep my eyes from wandering. The snow on the trees in the background minimize any chaos that might have been a problem in spring or summer.

2 Likes

I too like this image. The colorful bridge is certainly the subject here giving the image major contrast. I agree with @Kris_Smith about adding room to the left of the bridge. How would this image look in B&W? Here is a look at B&W, just for fun.

1 Like

Pete, this is terrific. I love the bridge and its color against the more monochromatic snow scene. Well seen. I also like the B&W version Larry posted.

Just as an aside, this is one of those images where we struggle to decide if it belongs in Landscape or Non-Nature. We allow some elements of humankind in landscape images as long s they’re not the dominant subject. In this image, I feel the bridge is an accent to the overall scene, not the subject so much. So let’s leave it here.

Well done, Pete.

1 Like

Thank you for the comments! Your hunch was correct, unfortunately there is a pile of lumber just off to the left of the bridge. I am considering trying to clone it out in PS, or at least try to buy myself another few feet of space off to the left.

There is some mild lens distortion of that tree on the right, I’ll try and straighten it out in LR.

Hah! I love the “peaceful scene with complex details!” I’ll remember that next time I’m shooting in the woodlands :grin:

That’s a great tip about the hard edge of the snow. I’ll add that to some other recommended edits and repost in the next few days. Thanks!!

1 Like

Many thanks to all for the suggestions! Reposts above. Per @Kris_Smith I was able to create some space on the left side of the bridge (Content Aware Fill in PS is pretty incredible…) and remove some lens distortion. @Merv, such a great experience-based tip on softening the snow/water boundary, these are exactly that kind of things I am hoping to learn here! I kept the blur relatively subtle, let me know if you think it makes enough of a difference. I also threw in a B&W conversion of the final image because I liked the look of @Larry_Greenbaum’s so much.

Nicely done! Agree that sometimes CAF in Ps is amazing. I’ve used it here and there with stuff I NEVER thought I could get rid of convincingly.

And BTW, you can edit your original post to put new versions up for comparison. (the icons are not showing right now, but they are there at the bottom of each post) This way we can go from one image to the other in the viewer and see the changes more immediately.

Ah! Thank you! I could have sworn there used to be an edit icon there earlier (and I used it with a prior post) but I couldn’t find it this morning… I’ll make those changes.

Pete,

I wasn’t being completely honest when I said that I don’t know of any way to bring order to a chaotic scene, the honest answer is “There is a way to edit away some of the chaos” but it can be tedious and time consuming because it’s not something that can be done with artificial intelligence (AI) software, it requires manually cloning with a clone tool set at 100% opacity but with various flows and hardness.
The origin point of the cloning tool has to be reset very often to prevent any repeating patterns, a reset is required with almost every single stamp, so, you really need to keep one finger on the “alt” key throughout the process.
“Order” in a snow scene can be defined as: “Everything in the vertical or near vertical orientation is acceptable” while “Everything in the horizontal or near horizontal orientation is the cause of chaos” but that really only applies to tree limbs and ground clutter.
I advise not removing all horizontal tree limbs, try to leave the ones that add to the scene.
Snow scenes are fairly easy because snow is by nature "“Forgiving of details”.

The blurring of the ice edges needs to be pretty dramatic because the water itself is dramatically blurred and soft and there needs to be continuity between the two in my opinion, a fairly heavy blur with the blur tool in the “Darken” mode is the key in my opinion because the edge of the ice is bright and that brightness needs to be eliminated or close to it. Rather than using the blur tool in the normal mode, then having to go back with a burn tool, just set the mode of the blur tool to “Darken”.
The fine and minute details are what makes the image and that often requires zooming in very close and in some cases “Edit pixel by pixel”.

I was being a little humorous with that statement but I was also being serious.
If this scene was shot without snow, it would be a lot more chaotic but the snow has a way of covering up some of the chaos leaving it peaceful by comparison.

In the example below, I spent about 30 or 40 minutes just cloning out horizontal limbs and ground clutter and from parts of the scene that match, and that’s usually accomplished by cloning very near to the origin of the clone tool.
I also painted the bottom rail on the bridge, (the one that appeared to have been replaced due to rot), it being a different color threw the balance of the architecture of the bridge out of whack and took away from the scene overall in my opinion.
For finishing touches I added some snow to various parts of the scene and that was mostly to balance it out a little more. I left that one area around the tree on the right with some leaves and rocks showing because I thought it added interest to the scene.
Note: I didn’t go as far as I would have gone if it were mine but I thought a decent example was worth the time and effort.

I added a version (after the main edits) with a slight amount of “Diffusion Glow” in Ps just to show that snow scenes like this can benefit from slight and subtle special effect if that’s what you like. Most effects that are done in moderation don’t cause the image to lose that authentic appearance and is still artful (again, as long as it’s not overdone).

If you were merely documenting the scene, then extensive cloning and adding elements like more snow might be questionable but images like this are intended to be our medium to express our artistic side and that to me says: “It’s OK” as long as others here at NPN know what was done.
I say that because NPN is suppose to be a place where we can learn and share techniques.
To me, letting the viewer (other photographers) know what was done is a must!
I always state what I have done no matter what it was.

Trying to pass off a scene without being honest about how it was made or edited is just wrong, I have more admiration for those who state what was really done than I do for some wild story about how it was a virgin shot with only minimal saturation and contrast adjustments.
If it were posted on some social media site where likes are all you’re after, yeah go for it, but not here IMHO.
Not talking about you, Pete. It’s Just my general philosophy.
Having said that, I have seen many images here that were obviously authentic “As Shot” images with very minor edits (if any) that were gorgeous!

I hope this helps you and/or someone else!

I love learning from others and I love sharing what I have learned over the past 40+ years.
The day I stop learning is the day when I become nothing more than a memory :smiley:

Original:

Edited Version:

Edited Version with Diffusion Glow:

@Merv First, sincerely thank you for taking so much time and sharing both the detailed advice and the photo editing!

Second, wow! :flushed: The transformation of your second and third images is just amazing!

I have used LR for several years and currently have, I’d say, intermediate ability with it, but am realizing the additional power of truly understanding PS and its additional features. At this point in my photography journey, I have stuck largely to documenting a scene with some more minor edits to the scene as a whole (likely due to a lack of ability/understanding for true artistic photo “alteration”). However, as you have demonstrated, the results can be hugely impressive when done well. Time for more education for myself!! For this image specifically I think I’ll start by learning how to change the color of that replaced rail. In my mind, the difference it makes is substantial. After that, I have a few images in mind that I could practice the cloning techniques on. I’ll be sure to be up front with any alterations when posting (I don’t do social media for my photography, this is actually the first time any of my images have been seen outside of my family/close friends).

Again, thank you!

I’m happy to know that you like the edits and learning what spending time on an image can produce.

My goal here is to share some of my techniques so that you and others might be able to expand on your/their asperations or visions.

I added a coupe of screenshots of Ps for the selection tool setup and cloning tool setup to act as a guide of sorts. You may already know exactly what to do with the tools but there may be a beginner reading this thread and this may help them as well.

The polygon lasso tool seems to be the quickest way to accomplish cloning the paint on the rail.
Selecting the bottom rail and the top rail separately works best because I don’t have to be so careful with cloning inside of the border of the rail, then just clone from the top rail to the bottom rail using 100% opacity with about 40% hardness (experiment with the hardness to suit you).
Again, this method is much easier than cloning without the two rails selected, and for me, the selection process takes less time than trying to stay inside the borders.

Next, use the cloning tool rather than just using a color matched paint brush or paint bucket fill, the reason I prefer this method is to make the paint job match in color… and the degree of weathering.
Even adding little imperfections in the paint from the top rail adds to the authenticity (but in a different spot so it doesn’t look cloned).
This isn’t about making the image pass as authentic, its about details and I’m very picky about the details even though most viewers would probably never notice.

Anyway, I really am happy to know that this technique might be helpful.
The main thing is to take your time, be patient and most of all, “HAVE FUN” :slight_smile:

Thank you for the detailed response! Even I need words of encouragement :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pete,

Welcome to NPN! What a terrific first post. So tranquil and beautiful. The red - classic! And would be picked up by a stock agency in a heartbeat! But as mentioned, in contrasts so nicely with the nice dusting of snow . Just a wonderful combination.

Kudos to you for taking the time to consider the feedback (more in a sec). I think your repost really stepped things up - even as though the changes might seem to be small. Just that little space on the left, and working the tree on the right - made a big difference.

I’m gonna have to call out @Merv for going above and beyond with your helpful techiques. I don’t know that I would have spent that much time and detail on my own image, let alone a strangers! But thank you for all the detail walkthru of your edits!

Lastly, just for the record, for this particular scene and setup, none of the b&w’s elevate this for me. With the red, the scene seems less extrodinary. But heck, hard to make that picture-postcard beauty any better.

Looking forward to your images and participation!

Lon

@Merv The technique with illustrated walkthrough was immensely helpful to make it possible for me to change the color of the bottom rail! It would have taken me a very long time to sort that out on my own if ever… And I had a ton of fun doing it! While it’s not perfect, I am really happy with how it turned out and I learned a very powerful technique. Thank you so much!!

You are very welcome, Pete! :slight_smile:

I downloaded this image just so I could zoom in close on the bottom rail and wow! what a great job!

Now “that” is what really matters!

I am very happy to know that I was able to help in some small way!

Keep up the good work and I’d be more than happy to help further if I can.

Thanks a bunch for posting this, ya never know, it may help to inspire someone else to expand on their journey as well. :slight_smile:

Thanks again, Pete!

Well done!

1 Like