A cold day in Colroado

Cortez CO does not see 2-degree days very often which is what happen a morning I was there couple days ago. I took a walk at Mesa Verde National Park looking for a snow scene and found this. Temperature was 7 with a 15-mph wind when I go to the park. This photo was taken from the sidewalk I was laying down on to take it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Going to start doing more landscape photography, although maybe this one is barely a landscape. Comments welcome

Technical Details

R7 rf 24-240mm at 25mm 1/100 f/20 iso 200

Good for you for getting out there in such cold temps! Also happy to hear you chose a low angle
of view. While the his scene is pleasing, I think the image would benefit from a bit stronger foreground; something that pulls the viewer into the scene more, that puts the viewer there with you. If you positioned a bit to the left, and were a little higher up, and angled the camera downward you could use that snow covered rock as a foreground element to make a more dynamic composition. Keep exploring those winter moments!

1 Like

Thanks for the comments, @brenda_tharp. That is a good suggestion, one thing I did not want to do was walk into the snow. It was cold :smile:

Good to see you getting out in winter conditions. I did a 3 mile snowshoe this weekend myself over in Black Canyon of the Gunnison for a project.
I think its always good to think about “what is my subject.” Here - I’m guessing you wanted to emphasize the snow-covered bushes and the snow. Think about how to compose so that is the main or only subject seen. I’m not sure the little hillside on the left adds anything so I’d look to crop that out. I like the inclusion of the grasses here and the blue sky also.

Thanks @Matt_Payne I missed that hill on the right. I will crop that out for sure. I am in southern Arizona so I hope on the next snow to get more photos in the nearby mountains.

1 Like

Yeah I hope we get some more snow soon too, we really need it!

That was my thought as well. It’s not obvious what excited you to take this picture.

I thought the contrast of the dark brush and the ice on the bush with the white clear snow is what I was thinking. I did another one I will post I think is better than this. Maybe the ice-cold wind with just a sweater on affected my thinking :smile: