A cold, frosty Palette

Overnight temperatures below zero F are unusual for mid-October in Montana. However, when we got some, I knew that there would be lots of frost around the hot springs. Here’s a look at the east edge of Palette springs with snow, ice, frosted trees, a bit of hot water and lots of mist.

5D3, 24-105 @ 50 mm, 1/160 s, f/16, iso 800, tripod and polarizer

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Mark,
This is a great look at these unique harsh conditions. I really like the blue sky peaking through the fog and the trees remind of those Christmas cards that get the white glitter everywhere when you open them. Nicely done!

Mark, for a shot like this, braving below zero temps is really worth it !!!

These conditions are gorgeous, beautiful side light, rime ice on the trees, and some really interesting patterns in the billowing steam as well. Your processing looks right on the money, which is not always easy to do with strongly lit snow and ice, but you have handled that beautifully here. My only suggestion would be to crop from the bottom to eliminate the two clumps of grass, i think it would place more emphasis on the goodness above, while still leaving a base below the terraces.

A beautiful and crispy looking scene. I read Ed’s crop suggestion and I actually like the clumps of grass, a nice lead in for me. No nits here.

Mark,

I love the cold, crisp freshness this image portrays; brings me right there. Great job processing this as well. No nits or suggestions.

Lon

Love the way the shadows bring out the textures in the snow, Mark, and how, with the clouds, you get a feel of an icy wind blowing across the scene.