Palette Springs after snow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A view of Palette Springs and the Devil’s Thumb on a cold morning after a major snow storm. The colder the air, the more fog that arises from the hot water. I did have to wait for the fog to part allowing me to include the distant trees.

Technical Details

R5, 24-105 @ 78, 1/400 s, f/16, iso 800.

Mark: Don’t you just love conditions like this?!? Marvelous scene and light superbly composed and presented.>=))>

I like this scene. It has several elements in addition to the fog that are appealing. I have been to Mammoth Hot Springs several times, but I didn’t see this location.
As I studied the image more, I started to see the little tree as the star of the show. Just for discussion sake, here is another composition to consider.

Wonderful image! I love the crop as presented, allowing the graceful dark shape to end with comfortable room in the frame. The BG trees also end, subtly, but nicely. They are a wonderful element!

Well, you patience certainly paid off Mark. Those BG trees make for another wonderful element in the image and complete the scene for me. The graceful curve of that slope works nicely and you handled the whites perfectly. No suggestions from me.