Palette Springs, east flow

We finally felt safe enough to travel back to our Montana house (after two years) and I got into Mammoth yesterday morning. As expected the locations and amount of flow are dramatically different, so exploring was extra fun. This is a view of the eastern flow section from Palette Springs. This area was dry and white two years ago, while the area of color then is now dry and white.
(5D3, 100-400 @ 108, 1/25 s, f/16, iso 200, tripod)

4 Likes

Hi Mark, this is really intriguing. I love the soft light and soft colors. It’s really hard to gauge the size here, but I think it’s pretty big. I need to get out here some time…

Glad you were able to get back to your house in Montana.

Looks rather otherworldly - cool! Glad you could get back to Montana.

A really gorgeous palate and overall image here, Mark. This one would make a really super nice large wall hanger… :+1: :+1:

Fascinating image Mark. I wish I had a better sense of scale or maybe that was the intent. I could look at this a long time. Very nice image.

This is so fascinating and engaging, Mark. I love the subdued color pallet along with all those wonderful flowing lines. I think this would look simply fantastic printed large and hanging on a wall. I think that dead tree is perfectly placed within the scene and makes the image even more powerful IMO. I am sure you were happy to finally get back to your second home.

This image is mystifying to me. I really have no idea what is happening here. Which doesn’t mean to say this is not a drop dead gorgeous image! The intrigue keeps me exploring. Is it water flowing?

I can see by the scale of the tree that the area is massive and you’ve placed the tree in the perfect position. Colours are beautiful.

Excellent image Mark. It looks like a bridal veil has descended on the landscape. There are compositions within this composition that beg exploration. I also like the handling of the colors. They’re there but are subordinate to the tones (as it should be). For some reason that grid like shape in the ulc grabs my attention so I would remove it. I think it’s because everything else is curved and that has straight dark lines. But it’s a remarkable image and the suggestions are only minor suggestions really.

1 Like

This is a beautiful interpretation of Pallette Springs, simultaneously conveying harmony and confusion. For me, the top center and right is distractingly white. The attached applies some dehaze and saturation adjustments for a slightly different effect. I sincerely hope you consider submitting this image to the Montana Outdoors Magazine. This quality of image is worthy of their Annual Photo Issue. https://fwp.mt.gov/montana-outdoors/photo-submissions

This is wonderful and so intriguing!! @Igor_Doncov said it – it’s overlaid with a bridal veil! Finding the tree is such a surprise!

Glennie, that tree is around 5 feet tall (estimated from afar). These are big hot springs with the colors determined by the types of bacteria and algae that live at different water temperatures (warmer colors mean hotter water, with white being near boiling. A web search should give you lots of reports on those colors. Yes, it’s constantly wet. When things dry they become near white and start to crumble.

Mark,

This is a beautiful soft color palette and the abstract quality of the image is so engaging to the viewer. As others have mentioned…other worldly comes to mind.

Thanks for explaining this. It’s quite remarkable.

I love the subtle quality of this image. The textures and colors are so lovely. It makes a great abstract as it’s hard to know what it is. Could be a macro of something or could be a drone shot of mountains.