Palette Springs

I go back repeatedly to a number of places, usually because they’re “local”, interesting and convenient. It’s always fun to see how things are different both under different lighting conditions and as the natural world changes. In this case, I’m posting two views of a clump of three dead trees in the middle section of Palette Springs. The flow out of the hot springs at Mammoth changes constantly. For these two shots, the first post was in the fall of 2019 with the 2nd post fall of 2017. The big change was a significant reduction in the flow of hot water around these trees over the two year period. That shows up in the different colors, with strong colors when there’s a lot of water (2017) and much more subtle colors when the flow is low (2019). If the flow stops, everything turns to light gray.

Mark: I failed to properly explore the Mammoth area when we were in Yellowstone this summer and this image makes me regret it even more. I have images of these trees from earlier visits so your shot shows what I missed. I especially like the colors in the 2019 version and just find it a more pleasing image although both are really good. Many kudos! >=))>