Canary Springs, YNP

Here are three views of the Canary Springs/Grassy Springs area at Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone. This area is one of my favorites because it is constantly changing with the water flowing in different amounts and the colors changing with the changes in water temperature. I don’t even try to set up in the same spot or at the same time so there are differences due to the lighting, but that’s part of the fun, also. While the changes from 2017 to 2018 are subtle, there’s a dramatic change in 2019 both in the colors and in how the largest snag on the right was in the water.

Oct. 1, 2019

Sept. 19, 2018

Nov. 7, 2017

1 Like

That is a dramatic change. The added dimension of geothermal effects is something we don’t often see in a lot of nature photography. The last is my favorite with the contrasting warm rock and chilly snow. And the nearest tree is highlighted beautifully by the blowing snow and/or mist coming off the water. What a great location.

Wow! This is beautiful, Mark! You’re so lucky to get to go to this place so often and at different seasons! You captured it well! I can’t say I have a favorite, they each have their own look and are equally beautiful!

Wow, very different and all great looks at this beautiful spot. I can’t say I have a favorite either. I have favorite aspects of each, but like them all equally. Great entry for the challenge.

Absolutely gorgeous, Mark. Great series and very nicely seen and captured.