Frost day

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

jorma_hevonkoski
1 Like

Gorgeous! I love the soft pinks against the blues. I find the blue cast on the FG snow dramatic as it mirrors the blue gradient in the sky. I think a bit more room at the top would work well.

You’ve made my feet cold.

1 Like

Another snow image from the far north. I knew it was yours as soon as I saw it. I agree about the warm-to-cool combination. Personally, I prefer the steel blue color of your previous work to this shade of blue but this is certainly a fine image.

1 Like

What radiant colors. I just love the cold blue and the muted orange combo. I’m glad you didn’t take the orange color any farther. It’s just right and real. The 2 tall foreground trees stand in absolute contrast to each other which tells a story. The much smaller ad farther away background trees don’t overwhelm the story being told in the foreground. I love the gap in the trees both near and far and the atmosphere over the river/lake provides a really nice glow.

1 Like

The strong blue tones work for me, and really help create a winter mood. I also like the color gradient in the sky, as @David_Haynes said the warm tones are handled just right for my taste. I also like the directions the trees are leaning in, especially the two on the left that are leaning in opposite directions.

My only nitpick is that I wish there was slightly more space showing on the right, but maybe there was a distraction there that required this crop.

1 Like

Thanks guys for the nice feedback. It’s pretty hard to wade in the deep snow at almost -30 degrees celsius and still photograph even something. Thick down gloves keep hands melted but feet freeze up quickly and in just over an hour have to get in a cold car to warm up. Optimal shoot for automatic bracketing and does not adjust for anything that is not necessary. But this is nice and voluntary

I love this! It looks so cold and yet all I want to do is put my coat on and go outside.

Beautiful! I spend a fair amount of time around a small community in Minnesota called Finland. It’s absolutely clear exactly why Finnish immigrants decided to settle there; it must have felt exactly like home.

The difficulty of making good, well-considered compositions in exhaustingly deep snow and extreme cold is, in my mind, the most challenging kind of landscape photography out there. A tremendous amount of perseverance (and a tolerance for suffering) is necessary to make an image this good in these kinds of conditions. Well done.

1 Like