A Darkling Beetle

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this beetle, of the genus Ceropria, under thick bark on the trunk of a standing dead tree in our local woods the other day. When exposed to the light, its black surface displayed attractive iridescence, so I placed it on the ground where this could best be seen and took a handheld series of focus-bracketed shots. After this, I placed it back on the tree to resume its business.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

OM1 + 60mm macro 1/60 f5.6 ISO 400 diffused flash 7 focus-bracketed shots

TIFFS stacked in Zerene (PMax) then processed in Photoshop: cropping and a little added saturation.

2 Likes

A really nice stack, Mike. I don’t see any anomolies or out of focus areas. I love the iridescence on the back and you picked a good background for it.

1 Like

This is a beautiful beetle Mike. Wow, those colors are amazing, and the pattern is really intricate too. Love the pores. Nice BG to make it pop off the page.

1 Like

Wonder colors and detail, Mike. Love it , great shot!

1 Like

Mike, the iridescence really helps this beatle stand out. The fairly uniform colors in the surroundings work well also. Your flash did a great job of showing off the iridescence.

1 Like

Mike: I love the full spectrum of colors that the light brought out. Really well crafted image of this guy. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Well deserved EP–Details, soft lighting, and captured colors make this a winning shot. Awesome…JIm

1 Like

Thank you for the EP.