A Fine Blue Day at the Regatta (2022)

RAW default

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

It has taken me two years to go back to that day’s shooting (20 Sep 22) because I knew that my post-processing skills were insufficient to extract value from the images captured that day, of which this one.

The main issue that arose during post is: “what kind of blue is the sky or perhaps, what kind of blue do I want it to be?” After spending some 4 weeks on this (or was it 6??), I finally had to make a choice (this was not helped by having to change displays midway!) I feel I quite like that blue now.

Another issue relating to the sky is how bright should it be? It is all well and nice to take down the blue luminosity in ACR, which results in the white sails standing out better but such a clear sky as it was that day should really be quite luminous, at the expense of not being able to bring out the sail more. Again, it is a matter of careful “dosing”. Easier said than done!

It is also the first time that I considered white balance at the very beginning of raw processing (years without paying attention to RAW WB!) whilst keeping an eye on the histogram for contrast throughout the whole developing process. I may or may not have got it right but, developing this series, I feel that my post-processing skills and eye are strengthening which, in truth, is the whole point of the exercise. I can always return to this image years down the line and get it exactly as I want it (a convenient escape mechanism!). In the meantime, all that one can do is learn to live “uncomfortably” (read: racked with doubt!) Ah the torture of art!

Creative direction

I aim at a distinct style and artistic approach of sailing photography, primarily one that puts the elements (sea and sky) at the forefront, rather than shooting close-up of crews in action etc where the sea is more of a backdrop than anything else. In fact, I’d rather not shoot boats at all but am seduced by the beauty of these world-class classic yachts with their beautiful decks, sails and history.

Specific Feedback

Any kind of aesthetic, conceptual, emotional, technical feedback welcome.

I have applied a TK9 standard vignette. Does the URC look too dark? Should the sky be more even?

ACR edit, then into PS with TK9. Standard vignette, dodging of reflections, some cleaning up and a little bit of warping.

Technical Details

I was thinking of emailing support about shooting data, but am sure that others here can enlighten me: is this visible to everyone on the internet, or just to the community? Happy to share this with the community, but not happy to reveal my shooting data to the whole internet. If you would like to know, please DM me and I’ll be happy to answer.

Description

Shot in the water. Sony A7R4. Cannes Royal Regatta, France

1 Like

I really like the boat being hidden and just the sails and crew visible, Laura. I think the sky and sail look good. I doubt that there is any right answer, just taste. Even after being away from the event for a very short while, you’re not going to remember those whites and blues exactly, and it’s far different looking at a computer screen than squinting in a bright sun to see something like this.

I believe your shooting data would be visible, if you post it.

1 Like

Many thanks for your comment Dennis. Glad to know that you like the image.

Very true! Exactly the thought I had during developing.

The changes look good to me.

Thanks for your feedback, Igor.

Looking back at my post I realize that the difficulties I mention are more in relation to the whole series, of which this image is my favourite and was actually fairly easy to edit as can be seen from the RAW. Harmonizing the sky colour and brightness across the series was quite a tough job, one I can’t say that I have completed to my entire satisfaction but am glad I got it out anyway. Progress, not perfection.