A Foggy Morning

A Foggy Morning + reworked

A Foggy Morning original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was a very foggy morning when we did a photo shot at Pukuli Lake, So. Island, New Zealand. Rocks were the main subject by default.

Specific Feedback

All feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Sony a7iv on tripod. ISO 100, f/16, 1.5 sec.
I used Nik Silver Efex Pro, the underexposed filter, to emphasize the rocks.

@Don_Peters in answer to your suggestion regarding need for picutre more on the left. I agree but the trip back to New Zealand isn’t in the cards.
Thanks to @Rob_Sykes who sugested darkening the water and the sky. I am much happier with the result. The water was clearly demanding attention when it was the rocks that i considered the subject. You have a good eye Don.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

This one is appealing, Barbara. I like the way the sharp foreground gives way to a softer background. My only qualm is that the framing seems very tight. If the original shot was framed more broadly, a little breathing room on the top and on the left might help. That’s just taste, though.

Barbara, the rocks stand out very well here. I like the juxtaposition of the sharp, rocky foreground with the touch of fog coming off the lake and the more rounded distant peninsula. The amount of sky feels fine.

Thanks to @Mark_Seaver and @Don_Peters for your kind feedback. Don, mentions the framing. Point well taken, but I think that was all there was in the picture. I will have to look at other versions of the composition to see if there was more on the right.

Barbara, I do like this photo, however I wonder if the sky and water could be darker than the brightest part of the rocks. I find my eyes are drawn to the water and sky instead of the foreground and background shore.