A Glowing End Version 2

After posting the first version as a panoramic and getting feedback on the composition and colors, I decided to take a look at a different crop. One that included the full trunks and more space on top. I had initially intended this photo to be a panoramic, and while I do like my first crop, there is something about this 2:3 ratio crop that does appeal to me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Comparing this crop with the original panoramic crop, which do you prefer?

Here is the link to the panoramic version HERE

Hi Youssef - I love the autumn glow that you captured. I prefer the third edit of you original panorama. It has more abstract qualities that I find appealing. I think this version has too much dark overhead background.

Hi Youssef. I like this crop best. I like contrast with the larger dark area on top. If possible, I think a very small amount of additional space below the trees might work well too. Either way they are beautiful photos.

I prefer the panoramic version. It might help to add above a link to the panoramic version so that the comparison can be made easier.

I probably lean toward the beautiful panoramic since it cuts out most of the BG which is not all that interesting.

Like others, I think this image presents too much of the uninteresting hillside. My first reaction was to crop it by 60%, but then I dodged it using Alister Benn’s History Brush/Screen technique, and some color appeared, so then I increased global saturation of that hillside. There is a ton of color in those rocks/plants.
I thought the trees were a bit of a single wall, albeit a beautifully striking wall. I tried to add some depth by burning vertical areas (again with History Brush/Multiply).
If you like either of these effects, you might try them on the dramatic panos, and see what happens.
The snippet of road is a bit distracting; seems like we should see more or less of it.

Dick,

Thanks for the feedback. Funny that you should open up the BG. I actually burned it down quite a bit. There was tons of detail and color there but I did not see it as adding to the aspens so burned it down.

Let me add a version that is not burned down for comparison.

I prefer the redo by @Dick_Knudson. I think the hill adds some interest to this image and I think Dick dodged the hill just enough to bring out the colors and the interest in it. I would clone out the pathway that leads in and out of the bottom foreground or else add the entire trail back in. Sounds like you had to work to get this shot. I love it when a shot has a story behind it. :slight_smile: