A hike in the Jura mountains + repost

Well, this is the time of year that autumn colors are posted, so I’ll join the club. The image was shot during a hike with my daughter. A father’s delight (we started to do this together when she was 7, now 23 years ago), but probably not the best way to come to good images. On the other hand, this is what suits me best: I love to be in the outdoors, walking or cycling, and images are by-catch or collateral damage :slight_smile: Sharing this joy with the next generation is valuable to me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback welcome. I made several images of the place in various formats, while the light was constantly changing (clouds). This one I prefer, but I will happily share others as well.

Technical Details

Pentax K3 Mk. iii, Pentax 55-300 @170mm, ISO800, f/10, 1/250sec.
Optical corrections and noise reduction in DxO PL5, exported as .dng and further RAW conversion in Picture Window Pro, as PWP can do this in HSV color space (preserving bright colors better than in RGB). Little further processing, only small curve adjustments.

1 Like

Hey Han, I really like the use of light here. That light to me is the best light the soft light that comes through the clouds and just dances around the landscape. There’s nothing better than that. My only suggestion on this photo is to brighten the far left yellow trees, because how they going to shadow distracts me a little bit so if you brighten those to match the yellow trees on the right side, it would be even light across.

Love the soft pastel feel of the light on this one, Han. I also really liked your generational story.

Cheers,
David

Beautiful mix of colors Han, and I like the splash of light. I too liked the generational story; I’m at that same point and beginning to start the cycle again with grandchildren. Good times.

I don’t know if there was any option to the bottom and right in the original scene, but the upper left seems to dominate a little to much. A tad more room on the bottom and right would have balanced that some.

Thank you @John_Williams , @David_Bostock and @David_Johnston for your valuable comments. Much appreciated!
I agree that more room on the bottom and right is better. There isn’t anything in the raw file, but I made several images, also with a much wider view, because there is more going on on that slope. I cropped an the image from a different file and also brightened the far left trees a bit.
I’m a bit ambiguous about the rocks in the URC, but they don’t distract me too much. Like to hear your opinions.