Last light

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

After a long hike in the Jura mountains, a few years ago, we returned to our guesthouse and saw this scene. Stopped the car and made a few images, at the road side.
The aerial perspective gives the usual layers, but the mountain face in the FG adds a few as well :slight_smile:

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Pentax K5, 55-300mm @55mm, ISO400, f/9.0, 1/10 sec, -1.7EV.

Han, I agree that the mountain face on the right adds well to the sense of depth. You also have a really long view with the clouds adding additional layers. When I look at the largest view, I see a mix of sharp and soft scattered throughout the mountain face. The blurring shows particularly in the two green slopes in the middle of the frame. Were there water drops on the lens?

Thanks @Mark_Seaver. This is an image from a few years ago and at first I thought that you were right about the drops. But there is a lot more to see that is not good, after a better look. My second thought was, that something, not knowing what, went wrong when I resized the file. But finally I decided to re-edit the raw file.
Excuses for the first post. I had to check the resized image more carefully before submitting.

@Han_Schutten, This shows much improved sharpness, although if I put on my magnifying glasses and look very carefully, there are still tiny bits of softness scattered throughout the cliff. Was this a much smaller original file? In the past, I’ve done a modest amount of upsizing with seemingly decent success, but it did depend strongly on the upsizing algorithm.

@Mark_Seaver No upsizing, this is the original file except for a small crop. But the image was deliberately under exposed because of the sky. If I correct the exposure strongly in the raw file conversion and view the cliff, I see that there is very little detail in some spots. That might be caused by the underexposure, or the cliff is indeed pretty smooth there. The exposure time of 1/10 sec. (hand held) is not the best condition to preserve detail either.