Breakthrough

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Hi there,

This one‘s from my Dolomite trip two weeks ago. And it‘s a real „problem child“ for me. The conditions were great, no doubt. And I absolutely love the light streaks. But compositionally it‘s actually not working. After all I lack the distance, so I am throwing it in the ring :slight_smile:

Here‘s my problem: I cropped it as a pano obviously, because I wanted to integrate the light source. But by doing so, I open up the view to the distance, which gives depth, BUT those mountains are drawing the eye out of the frame, which is something I want to avoid. The heros are the Tre Cime, not the mountain range in the distance.

So, actually I should be cropping the right side, depriving my image of what I really like and what I witnessed. That hurts, haha!

But seriously, how is that working out for you? How would you crop it? Thanks!

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

Sorry, I don‘t have the data present.

1 Like

My initial reaction is one of awe. In that sense it’s similar to what Ansel Adams was after in his depictions of nature. I really like the panoramic aspect ratio for this subject because the distance is shown from left to right rather than front to back. The composition is mostly about horizontal elements ( rays are going right to left and mountain is going from left to right) so the panorama works at that level as well. I don’t feel that the eye is pulled out of the image by the mountains on the left. The light on the right prevents that. The biggest issue is that the white light on the right is blown out. It’s pure white with no detail in places. If I crop off the right to remove that blinding light the composition gets weaker because some of the expanse is lost. I would work on taming that light somehow.

1 Like

Hi Markus,
wow, that looks great. The Tre Cime is always worth visiting, especially when you get conditions like this.

The distant mountains on the right do not bother me at all. They are relatively small and shrouded in haze so they don’t draw attention.

If I’m going to nitpick, it’s more the dark blue patch in the URC that bothers me.

I would clone that or dodge and desaturate that patch so that it doesn’t draw so much attention.

In my opinion, the composition works as it is. I would not crop the image.

1 Like

Thanks, Jens! You’re right, absolutely overlooked that patch. Will rework it now :slight_smile: