Tower of light

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

This one is from my Dolomites trip last weekend. It was an image (or better: 5 images stitched) I actually made “in passing”, because I liked the light. It turns out, I like it more, than I initially thought.

This is a first edit and I would like to hear your honest opinions. I have the same as an “non-pano” (the middle mountain only), but I quite like the surrounding mountains as they give depth. I also did not want to cut the bottom as it’s another layer adding to the depth. But as there’s a lot of clutter, I burned and blurred it.

How do you like it? What what you edit/cut differently?

Thanks,
Markus

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-10 um 16.59.38

Specific Feedback

See above

3 Likes

My initial reaction is the brooding landscape. But maybe it’s still too bright to be brooding. Yes, it suggesting of deep submerged feelings that are difficult to control.

My sense is that the image would gain by being cropped from the left since there is mostly dark mountains in the left third of the image. But that would be incorrect because this image is about strong horizontals and a more compact aspect ratio just kills that sense of enormousness the panoramic view gives. Very fine image with great emotional impact.

I agree with Igor, a small crop on the left could help to balance the image, but maybe if the dark areas could be lifted a bit to show more information, that left side could have some interesting details.
The brightest areas are indeed the focus, and they will still be it you have the surroundings a bit brighter.
Cheers

What a great photograph!
Dang!
I think this works really well.
I would be interested to see a different crop. For me, the FG doesn’t really add much since there’s not much there of interest, and like @Igor_Doncov mentioned, some of the left or right might be good to remove as well. Play around with this and see how you like it. Overall it’s a very powerful image as-is!

1 Like

Hi guys, thanks for your feedback. I redid the whole thing. I guess the pano just contains to many less important things.

1 Like

Love this scene - well handled - I did take the liberty of adding my own twist to it - for all its worth - certainly hope to visit the Dolomites some day and images l

ike yours ipspire me to go there sooner rather than later

1 Like

This is a very impressive mountain scene with some really incredibly beautiful light. When I viewed your pano large my eyes would go straight to “that” peak and I actually found myself ignoring the rest of the frame so I’m glad you decided on another version/crop that I feel makes for a stronger composition. I find that panos are rather tricky because they work best when there is something of interest in all parts of the frame and not all scenes can do that.

1 Like

This is a lot better, nice work!

2 Likes

I was going to suggest that the foreground didn’t add much to the image and that maybe picking out a section of the image would have made a stronger composition. Unfortunately @Matt_Payne beat me to the first part and you have done a superb job with the re-crop. It’s almost exactly the image I saw withing the larger scene when I first saw it.

Nice work!

1 Like

I have to say that I like both images, each for a different reason. I’m not convinced that the rework is ‘better’ than the original.

1 Like