Fear of Heights Pano

Never had a fear of heights before making this image on this ledge. I still get tingles when I look at it. Sunrise.

Specific Feedback Requested

comp and processing. Does the ledge inn the frame take away from the image or add to it? Couldn’t make myself get any closer…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
6 image pano, 24mm, f/8, 6 sec iso 100

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t like standing on ledges with no barrier…gives me the spooks.

I like the soft morning colors here, Mario. I think the ledge helps to frame and give a sense of place. Well done.

Gorgeous. I really think the clouds in the sky add a lot to the image, Mario.

How many days were you exploring this area?

Especially ledges with soft dirt.

1 Like

Great sky and rock formations. I would say the foreground detracts from the image for me. Not a deal killer, but. I would clone out the bush coming in LLC. Otherwise, the processing looks good.

I’m looking at this with an iPhone so please take that into consideration. I would do a square crop of the very far right of the image. Or even a vertical. That pinnacle of rocks with the view behind and to the right strike me as the most outstanding part of the image. I would have worked myself closer to the edge even if I had to pull myself along in a sitting position.

1 Like

I love the muted morning colors. I agree with Igor that the right 1/2 to 2/3 has the most interest. The foreground doesn’t bother me.

Thank you all @David_Bostock @Harley_Goldman @Adhika_Lie @Igor_Doncov @Bill_Pelzmann for your comments and suggestions. I like the crop as well. I think from a composition standpoint it is stronger as my eye flows through the image from the pinnacle diagonally up and across the ridge.

2 Likes

[quote=“Adhika_Lie, post:3, topic:25617”]

How many days were you exploring this area?

About 3 days Adhika
1 Like

As with most of photography, it is personal taste. I would be more inclined to favor a crop along these lines:

2 Likes

A lot of the comments so far have focused on cropping/composition, but I just want to say that I think you did a nice job with the processing here, Mario. The colors and contrast look great.

With the clouds and strong horizontal lines in this scene I can see why you thought about doing a panoramic. But for me, the left 1/3 of the image is just not as interesting as the rest of it. The clouds peter out to the left, and the two shadowed pockets in the front butte just are not interesting enough either to warrant including them in a pano. I like what @Harley_Goldman did with his rework, both the crop and the bush removal.

I’ll also add my two cents in agreement that the colors of the image are fantastic, and that the strength of the comp;osition is found in the right two thirds of the original scene. I also like @Harley_Goldman 's crop best. Thanks for sharing this image.

I’ll echo the above, that the processing is excellent (the color especially can be tricky in a photo like this), and vote for the square crop. I agree with @Igor_Doncov that is the best part of the image; I really like the lighting on that smaller formation. In addition, on the left the ledge blends in and is hard to see. In the square crop, the ledge is more visible and adds to the sense of scale IMHO.

I like both your original version (the foreground ledge doesn’t detract for me) and Harley’s edit. I agree, the left is the least interesting part and his crop works well. My subjective change, as shown below, would be to slightly lighten the dark areas and overall lighten the entire image (except the sky).

THank you @Harley_Goldman @Ed_McGuirk @Tony_Siciliano @John_Williams @jefflafrenierre for your comments/reworks, much appreciated.