Panorama From Trail Ridge Road

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Chris,

Wow, this is just fantastic! A hands-down wall hanger. I love this. Perfect for the pano - you didn’t mention any specifics - pano stitch or crop? I hope you stitched this and you have lots of pixels for a big print!

Very little that could improve this in any significant way. The processing is excellent in general, perhaps even a little reserved. I know the sun has gone down, but perhaps bumping up the saturation and brightness of the foreground? Certainly a personal preference there.

Minor suggestion would be to clone out the rock in the LLC and perhaps some even smaller white-ish rocks in the green high meadow.

An after thought… but now I can’t help but think of Julie Andrews… “The Hills are Alive…” :wink:

Beautiful image.

Lon

Really lovely scene. I can imagine a bump in saturation like Lon described, and a little dodging in the foreground perhaps. For me, the challenge with this image is that the most interesting color is in the right side, but the most interesting peak/ridge formations are in the left half. I might be inclined to crop a tish off the right side to bring the ridge closer, but first copying some of that lovely pink to other parts of the sky.

All that is subjective…I’m inclined to simplify scenes that pull my eye in several directions, but the dynamic quality of this is what pulls me, so maybe that’s good and more what you were going for.
ML

@Lon_Overacker Thanks for the suggestions Lon, I’ll definitely play around with some saturation and brightness adjustments to see how I like them. And yeah that rock in the LLC does look a bit out of place, thanks for pointing it out! This is a pano stitch of 6 images, total resolution is around 12000x4200 :smiley:

@Marylynne_Diggs Thanks for the critique! I was a bit conflicted with that as well, when I was shooting this I was really hoping that I’d get some color further into my frame. I’ll play around with some cropping as well, when starting on this image I kind of just went for my favorite pano aspect ratio and didn’t look back. I do feel like the pink on the right kind of gives my eye some motivation to look over to the right. If it wasn’t there my eyes would stay on the peaks to the left the whole time.

What a nice layered composition. You have to see the bigger version to fully appreciate this image. My favorite part are those snow patterns on the mountains. This must have been quite a sight to just be there and see this. I don’t know what to suggest. This image does not appear to have been processed very much. Perhaps add more texture to those dark trees in the lower areas.

Chris, this a really nice composition, and the subject makes for a wonderful panoramic. The light in the sky looks pretty interesting too. I agree with Igor, I think some additional processing could bring some more vitality to this image. The exposure blend for dynamic range looks okay. But I think you could dodge (and warm) some of the brighter areas in the landscape. If this were mine, I would take it warmer overall too, but that gets into personal taste and interpretation of the image, I admit.
I would suggest something along these lines.