Trail to Longs Peak

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

1. Is the image too dark?
  2. How does the color temperature look to you?
  3. Would you crop the image any differently?

Any other feedback is more than welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single exposure, 28mm, f/8, 1/90s, ISO 400

Chris, I like the color and the moody look. I think if you cropped from the bottom to just below the bush on the right that would give Longs more prominence. If you do crop, try to open the shadows in the bushes a bit.

I really like the sky and the slightly hazy peaks.
-P

Chris, the composition looks good, I like the leading line to the mountains. I actually like keeping the contrast high in the bushes in the foreground, and so personally I wouldn’t open up the shadows there too much.

Regarding color, it’s not too dark in my opinion, but I’d see if I could maybe bring down the whites/contrast in the rocks in the lower left corner, which I feel is a bit distracting. Great image overall!

Just goes to show you how effective a very common subject can be. I like all those rocks on the trail although I admit that the one in the Llc may be a bit distracting. Another more noticeable distraction is the white along the right edge of image. It may be a waterfall. I would content aware it out.

Chris,

Classic lead-in composition that is nicely captured. I don’t think too dark given the stormy, somewhat gloomy,dark sky, that the light seems appropriate on the ground where you’re at. Color balance looks great too - slightly cooler in the mountains/sky/clouds and sufficiently warm in the trees/path.

Although I think this works well as presented, I slight crop off bottom and right to eliminate the rocks in the corners; that also removes what looks like snow along the right edge Igor pointed out. But very minor for me. No nits or other suggestions.

Makes me wish I was there hiking along…

Lon

I think the luminosity of the image is just about right and the color temperature looks appropriate for the conditions. Some may prefer less cyan, but I like the mood as you have presented it. I don’t think I would crop it any differently. The trail leads me into the scene and I can imagine it leading all the way to the peak.

I second cropping the bottom, to get rid of the large bright rock in the center.

@Preston_Birdwell @fwolanski @Igor_Doncov @Lon_Overacker @Brian_Schrayer @Tony_Siciliano
Thank you all for your input and critiques! I ended up cropping out some of the bottom. I also cloned out some of the more distracting rocks and that snow on the right edge. Finally I reduced contrast and clarity on the trail to make the smaller rocks “pop” less.

I’m much happier with the image after those edits, there’s now a lot less for your eye to get stuck on in the foreground.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like