Long's Peak

A cropped monochrome version

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Many of my favorite images this year were from a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park in early June . This is one of Long’s Peak. I particulalrly liked the interaction of the clouds with the peak

Technical Details

Sony A7riv with a Tamron 70-180 lens at 180 mm and f/7. Some basic processing with Lightroom

I can see why this would be a favorite of yours Will. The clouds are a wonderful element and add some drama to the scene along with complimenting Long’s Peak rather nicely. This may not be your vision, but I could see cropping some from the left to emphasize the peak a bit more. I hope you don’t mind, but here is what I was thinking. Just a suggestion of course.

Thanks for your comments @Ed_Lowe . I have tried a number of different crops of this image. When I’ve cropped more from the left it cut off the cloud, which sort of reduced the impact of it . So I’ve left the crop to maintain the balance between cloud and peak

Will, you were up high to get this good view of Long’s. Ed’s crop does emphasize the main peak, but also cuts off the clouds. I assume you’ve tried a crop down the gap between the two clouds? I’m thinking that this would work well in black & white with the blue sky dark.

Mark, this was the easiest shot I took on that trip! It was from a car overlook on Trail Ridge road. I have another one of Long’s Peak that required a hike up to another summit.

You are absolutely right about a black and white version. I have one, but I haven’t been able to decide which I like better. Perhaps I will post that too.

@Ed_Lowe @Mark_Seaver
I added a monochrome version with a tighter crop. See what you think.

The B&W version looks great Will.

1 Like