Mountain + repost

Winter is wet and warm this year, unattractive. So there is time left to revisit some old folders and reprocess old images (newer software, better skills maybe?). This one was not even processed at all, overlooked probably. It is an autumn image made in Norway. I like the colored slope and the contrast with the thin layer of fresh snow

Specific Feedback Requested

What do you think? Boring? Interesting enough to post? I also made a crop, to give more attention to certain details. Do you prefer the crop or the uncropped image?
All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Pentax K10D, 55-300mm @190mm, ISO200, f/11, 1/125sec.
Processed in Dxo PhotoLab and PWPro, small curve adjustments, saturation increased a bit.

1 Like

Hello @Han_Schutten I think there are a number of different ways you can go here. I’m going to present one option below. I think you are onto something with your crop, and either way I think what I have to share could give some ideas. One of the main issues I see is the bright sky, particularly in the top left corner. I’m not sure if you could go back to the raw file to address that. It isn’t blown out but its really close and is losing all detail. I try to avoid that when possible.

Is the image about the textures in the mountain and the streams, or is it about the mountain itself? That is what you have to decide…no wrong answer by the way but that may help you decide which crop. If you can remember back to shooting it, what were you drawn to?

In terms of processing, would either go cooler still, particularly in the bottom 2/3 OR warm it up to create some separation. I also added some contrast to cut through some of the haze and draw some attention to the lower 2/3 of the image to try to draw attention away from the brighter sky. Sloppy work by me has created a bit of a halo around the mountain it may give you an idea.

Again, you have options I think, happy to help discuss more if you would like.

Han, this composition is wonderful. I like the graduation from floral/shrubs to snow in the distance. The crevasse works nicely to help guide me up the slope. Your crop has a lot of potential as a somewhat abstract landscape. I like it.

The full image is the majestic scene for me. I do like what @David_Wallace did to bring out a bit snap/pop/life to the scene. This is one where you could easily go too far with contrast/color. If you have a notion to work it a bit more, please post it, I am sure we’d love to see what you think.

Cheers,
David

Thanks @David_Wallace and @David_Bostock for your time and your comments, much appreciated!
@David_Wallace : unfortunately, there is no detail at all in the sky. The RAW file isn’t clipped, but the sky is featureless. I can darken the ULC of course, and you are right that it is too bright anyway.
I like your idea of cooling the snow on the mountain. In warming up the bottom part you have gone too far for me, a matter of taste.
The mountain itself was what I was drawn to, the transition of the autumn vegetation to the powder snow ( a bonus of the night before). The crop was something that came up while I edited the image, otherwise I could have zoomed in more.
@David_Bostock : I’ll work on it some more and probably post another version. Happy to see your and David W.'s suggestions.

Han,

Wonderful images, both of them. They each have their impact and for me also have very different impressions; each could exist without presence of the other.

I do really like what David did for the snow/sky in his rendition; especially the sky - which is amazing much could be done with emptiness up there. I would however keep you original color/sat/contrast in the non-mountain lower part. I really like the transitions from the oranges at the bottom through the reds/marroons and the the dusting of snow giving way to the mountain top and glowing sky. As mentioned, the gully/crevace does a great job leading the eye in to the frame…

The cropped/condenced version is wonderful too. It’s always great to be able to see and craft images that are crafted from the “bigger picture.” This is reminiscent of some images posted by another member of cutouts of the Alaskan tundra (dang it if I can’t remember who - I remember the images though!) Great balance here with that little canyon dividing the image quite gracefully.

Honestly, can’t decide which I like better! Of course you were drawn to the mountain - you were there! :slight_smile: Wish I had been. Thanks for sharing!

Lon

Thanks again to those who took the time to comment.
I went back to the image and changed a few things, no big changes however.
I increased local contrast a bit in the lower portion of the image. I darkened the ULC a little, and gave the sky and the snow a bluer hue. Nothing spectacular, maybe it is too little for your liking. In my opinion, the sky is the weakest part of the image. But I don’t like to replace it by something taken from another image. I don’t do that often, maybe against my principles, but also because I find it difficult not to lose the feeling of the image. Somehow the sky “fits” the light and mood in the rest of the image.
Striking how an image can bring you back to a place, it’s been more than 12 years ago that I was there.