A Little Fun with Butterflies

Description: Went to our local Biopark / Botanical Gardens this morning. This image was one I liked. The background was already naturally much darker than the flower and I accentuated that in post.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Olympus EM1-X, 40-150 f/2.8 with 2x converter.
1/1600, f/5.6, ISO 400, EV -1 1/3
Godox TT685 Flash at -1.7

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Great technique using deep shade to make the subjects pop. Details and color look good, too. The side view of both flower and butterfly makes for some nice shapes and textures.

BTW - am thinking of picking up a flash - what do you think of the Godox? They get good reviews at B&H.

I am very impressed with the Godox system. Great value and mine have been working perfectly for a couple of years. I use the XPro wireless transmitter when I want to use the flashes off camera. Very easy to use. This is not the system I use for my hummingbirds, just because I’ve had my other system for many years prior to getting the Godox flashes/transmitter. The Godox system would work perfectly for that application though.

1 Like

Very impressive, Keith. I love the lighting on him. Wonderful details all the way on the butterfly and most of the flower. The dark BG really makes both stand out so nicely. Was the flash off camera on this one? Really nice shot.

Yes, it was on camera for this shot. Pretty tough following these guys around with the flash off camera so I had to put it on the camera - not desirable…

I figured it would be difficult to have it off, but the lighting looks like it was backlighting. Very well done.

Wow – wonderful! And even more so for breaking the "rule"that the main subject should have the most contrast. The butterfly is just wonderful!

Really nice Keith. In particular the exposure and details on the butterfly really stand out.

Hi Keith,

You were able to capture the better side of the butterfly. Comp is fine and the dark BG allows the subjects to pop out of the frame. Well done…Jim