Butterfly Summertime Update 1

This was taken in July 2019 so that tells you how backlogged I am. Butterflies are so jumpy they never seem to pose the way I want, almost tossed this one but the focus seems pretty good

Technical Details

Canon 6D ii Canon 100-400 ii F/16 1/400 ISO 200. Used a diffused Flash.

Dean, I sure am glad that you didn’t toss this one. I love how the background colors compliment the colors of the butterfly. You have a nice grouping of flowers that are pleasing to my eye as well. Nice details in the eye of the butterfly. It is a very small nit, but the tips of another flower at the very bottom feeding into the image, if it was mine, I believe I would crop out, but really, an excellent image as presented.

Hi, Dean. As @Shirley_Freeman noted, the image is a bit busy at the bottom, but nevertheless a fine photo with an excellent background. Excellent details in the butterfly. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Great catch on the … looks like a skipper of some kind, but I’m not an expert. You say you used diffused flash and it looks like direct sun, so maybe you brought down the exposure in post. The yellow in the flowers looks too dim to me. I think you could brighten those just a little and still keep the focus on the butterfly. A crop excluding some of the flowers below could also keep the emphasis where you want it. Nicely captured though…flutterbys are notoriously difficult models!

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman , @terryb , and @Kris_Smith . I made a few changes using the comments you posted.

3 Likes

Good capture there, and I think the second crop works better. The bottom part was a bit busy with the parts in the shade and full sunshine competing for attention. The new version is a bit “calmer” and the eye doesn’t wander so much away from the butterfly. Love the easter egg with the super tiny beetle crawling around on the big flower as well.