A Lone Rose

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the simplicity and the composition. I also like the color contrast and the lighting. I am not so sure that the background was the best choice.

Creative direction

I am not certain about this

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic
Conceptual
Emotional
Technical

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5DS R
EF85mm f 1.8 usm
f 16
1/125s
iso 3200
Lightroom Classic
Photoshop

Description

The message is that of a lone flower standing tall. The fallen petals represent the passage of time

12 fallen petals - 12 months in the year. Anyway, I think this is a beautiful and original composition. The white BG suits it to my eye, especially with the absence of any visible base. It’s simplicity itself. I’d like to offer suggestions, but can only say that if you hung this on a white wall (which you should) one wouldn’t even notice that the subject is a bit close to the top and bottom edges. You hit the jackpot with this one, James.

Thank you for your kind and helpful comments.

I really like this, James. A beautiful arrangement. Mike mentioned the white background, but to my eye it’s a soft pink (which I like for this one). For the composition,it feels to me as if just a touch more room at the top would be nice, but that might disappear if I used the light background instead of the dark. The other item, and it may have been intentional or an optical illusion, is that it feels to me as if it could use just a tiny bit of counterclockwise rotation. In any case, a very cool and original image.

1 Like

Thank you so much for you comments.

The background looks a bit pink to me, too, but I think that works with the overall tonal emphasis of the rose. The arrangement of fallen petals is really nice from top to bottom and the muted greens help convey the idea of decline and death even though the rest of the image doesn’t. a bit more room top and bottom might be nice, but it really depends on what you plan to do with the photo. Very creative.

Thank you so much for the helpful feedback