A long time ago in a land far away

An old AgfaChrome that I scanned about 10 years ago and took about 50 years ago at a national Park north of San Francisco. Don’t remember the details but it had to be my Nikkormat FTN and a 50 mm lens. I did try to see if any of the new Topaz AI software would soften the grain. Unfortunately no such luck. If anybody has any ideas on how to improve old color slides, I would certainly listen.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: I did try to remove some of the magenta cast but didn’t get very far.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

David, the dominating presence of the spikey plants is quite striking. I’ve gotten some “reasonably good” scans with my Epson V700 scanner as well as some slides that Kodak turned into PhotoCDs, but none of them come close to the low noise of even a 10 MB digital camera file.

Cool perspective on this one. I have a drawer full of 35mm chromes and I might as well toss them. Even drum scanned, they don’t even come close to today’s entry level DSLR’s in terms of image quality. At least all my 4x5 chromes (and I have a lot) still hold up reasonable well with a good scan.

David, I can’t speak to scanning, haven’t scanned any film in years and just last year my scanner died. However, I couldn’t help but notice the great composition. Love the diagonal line of the thistles against the opposite diagonal line from the clouds.

An interesting look at the flower heads, David. I like the composition, though the really bright area came through a bit brighter than feels comfortable. The grain is interesting. It almost looks like deterioration of the cellulite or whatever they used for slide material back then.