A Monarch is Born

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I caught this just as she came out of her chrysalis.

Technical Details

Canon 5DSR, 100mm Macro lens.

2 Likes

John, these are amazing butterflies, and something amazing to watch as they come out of their chrysalis. I have watched videos of these, and never tire watching, so I am sure you enjoy seeing it happen in person.

I am thinking that this might belong under the Human Fauna though, for the fact that you raise them and then release them. Guidelines for Human & Fauna - Intended for photos of animals that live under the care of humans (pets, domesticated animals, animals confined to zoos, games parks, etc.)

I can move it over if you would like.

Wow, that would be GREAT if you could do that for me. I need to learn where that is.
I have pic’s from every stage from egg to first real meal on a flower. It’s really amazing to me. I get to see it over and over and it doesn’t get old.
I’ve released as many as 23 Monarch’s in a day.
This year, the Black Swallowtails are growing like crazy.
Thanks

John, right now it seems there is a glitch in the site not allowing me to move it. Hopefully that will be fixed soon. Not a big deal, your image is available for viewing and critiquing, and to me that is what counts.

Oh, that sounds wonderful to have images of the egg even. Twenty-Three more Monarchs out into the wild is a good thing. Sounds like you are helping these guys.

I will check back later and see if the issue is fixed and move it. For photos of the eggs, etc., that fit more into the Non-Fauna category, just select the Non-Fauna category when posting. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Hi John and @Shirley_Freeman I think you may be caught in the middle of David’s transition. Human and Fauna and Non-nature are being combined into a category called Everything Else which should be up in a few days.

I love the various stages of the butterfly that you’re able to capture, John. This is a really cool image, but I think there are some things that could turn it from a documentary image into art. Control of the lighting is probably the first and most important aspect. The lighting you had for this photograph looks pretty harsh. Since you’re dealing with a relatively small subject putting a diffuser of some kind between the sun and the subject will work wonders with softening the light. You don’t even have to go out and buy one-a piece of white fabric or even wax paper can do a pretty good job. The second part may be a bit more difficult and that’s control of the background. I know you don’t want to disturb them at this stage of their development, but if there’s some way to slip an artificial background behind the critter to obscure the cage, it would make for a much more pleasing image. You can take a deliberately severely out of focus image of a flower garden and print it on matte paper and it would make a great background for butterflies. I don’t know if how much is out there on photographing butterflies, but the people who do controlled hummingbird photography have similar issues and have come up with some really cool solutions.

Darrell Gulin is the only person I personally am aware of who raises butterflies and photographs them seems to wait until they’re fully adult to photograph them. I don’t know if he’s ever tried photographing them in development.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Thank you, @Dennis_Plank . I knew it was in the works to combine Non-Fauna with Non-Nature to a category called Everything Else.

John, NPN is making some nice changes to the site which should improve things. Your photo is fine right here. Dennis gave you some good advice. Lighting is so important. I use a plastic lid of of a storage container for my flash. I also like Dennis’ advice of slipping a background behind the butterfly without disturbing it to really improve the shot. I am really looking forward to seeing more of your images. Thank you for your help, Dennis. I have had a cold, so I am trying to get caught up on here, and there has been a bunch of conversations about the changes forthcoming that I haven’t been able to keep up with. Doing well to view and comment on some photos. :grinning: Just thankful it wasn’t COVID, and that my husband didn’t catch the cold.

Thanks so much. Everything you had to say was what I was looking for. I do have a diffuser and I’ll try to use. Some times I can move the habitat there in. The background is harder to control. I’ll look into a better background.

Thanks I’m going to try and add a background next time. I’ll try a flower. And yes, lighting bis very important.

1 Like