A Mother's Love

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

To witness these amazing souls in their natural environment is something that is impossible to describe, either with words, or images. Sharing more than 98% of our DNA, these wonderful beings have much to teach us.
It was an extraordinarily lucky day to visit with this particular troop. Mothers tend to be overly protective with their newborns, so this mom must have felt extremely comfortable with our group, as she lowered her arm, almost as if to show off her four day old baby to. A moment sure to stay with me forever.

Specific Feedback

All feedback welcomed.

Technical Details

1/1600 sec, f2.8, 95mm, ISO 1600

3 Likes

Fritz, love, trust, and total peace radiate from this beautiful scene. The vignette around the mother emphasizes the intimacy of the moment. Perfection exemplified. I wondered where you took this picture and then visited your website. I was born in Rwanda, but I have never had the privilege of seeing these magnificent animals. It was a pleasure to see the world through your eyes. The intimate landscapes caught my attention. Thank you for sharing this mother and child with us.

She is wonderful. I love gorillas so much. They are at once expressive and enigmatic, powerful and tender. Kind of like us I suppose. So close is our shared ancestor. A fantastic portrait although I don’t know such a heavy vignette is needed. Totally my impression. A fine photo skillfully done.

So incredibly sweet, Fritz, I can feel her love through your image. love how the little ones ear is peaking out, drawing my attention right to him/her. I can see how this moment would a lasting one for sure. Nicely done.

Thank you very much, Barbara. The things we learn about each other here at NPN; I did not know you were born in Rwanda. I love Rwanda, and have a deep love for Africa in general. Such an amazing continent.
And thank you for the compliments. Photography has become an increasingly bigger, and important, part of my life, so it is rewarding when others enjoy my work.
Very much enjoy your images as well; looked at your portfolio and like the variety both of subjects as well as processing techniques. Nicely done!

Thank you, Kristen. These are truly “gentle giants”; I felt a LOT more comfortable around them than the chimpanzees. It was an amazing experience for sure.
I tried both with and without vignetting, but personally prefer this version. It comes down to personal preference :slight_smile:

Thank you very much, Linda! The ear is what caught my eye; to me, that is what the story revolves around :slight_smile:

Thank you, Fritz. Your thoughts on my portfolio are greatly appreciated. Clearly, you are gifted in your vision as a photographer. I am grateful to learn from people like you who are professionals in the art.

1 Like

I hope I am able to shoot as empathetic shot as this when I visit Africa this coming June 2024. Such beautiful lighting and detail. You have framed the picture so nicely with the green foliage. It feels like such an intimate moment.

1 Like

Fritz, this is great! It’s so calm and peaceful as it shows a mother’s love and caring. You held the details in the black fir very well. Yes, it’s amazing to see that level of comfort with humans from a wild animal!

1 Like

What I love about photography, Barbara, there is so much to learn; always. What I love about this site, is the infinite talent so generously shared by all. And the wonderful people one meets along the way😊

Thank you so much, Laura. I’m sure you will. Africa is such an amazing place, with so many diverse cultures and rich and varied fauna. It is hard not to come away with something that will touch your soul, and be embedded in your memory forever. Have a fantastic, magical trip!

Thank you, Mark. The interaction between the gorilla adults and their young, be it babies or very active young ones, is hard to put into words. We watched a Silverback, imposing and intimidating in his size, interact tenderly and patiently with a rambunctious youngster, that would have put a humans patience to the test. So much can/could be learned from these gentle giants……
And thank you for the comment on the fur, indeed what I spent the most time on.

1 Like

Fritz, beautiful image! I second all of the previous comments. What strikes me is that she is so contented and relaxed enough to have her eyes closed! I wonder what the effect would be if instead of the vingnette, which frames them nicely, if you were to crop in closer. Might it show even more of her contentment? Regardless outstanding image and experience, I am sure.

Fritz, you have said it so well. This site is a nurturing place to learn and a treasure trove of beautiful art.