A Precarious Perch

Yet another from my February trip to California. The Black Phoebe seemed comfortable enough on its perch, but I’m not so sure the other resident was feeling as good about life right then.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Did I brighten the Phoebe too much? I did clone out a dark twig that was growing out the back of the bird’s head-is it obvious?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Too busy? Does the bird stand out sufficiently?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, beanbag on car window, f/8, 1/2000, iso 640, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4950x3366. Plumage enhancement with Topaz Detail 3. Local exposure and saturation adjustments to the bird. Taken February 7th at 4:32 pm.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I’d say the blacks and whites are handled quite well. The phoebe is sharp enough to stand out from the busy background and the catchlight in the eye seems to draw me into the shot and focuses my gaze on the phoebe. Don’t see any cloning issues.

I don’t see any cloning issues on the face of it Dennis. A bit busy perhaps. I wonder how would the phoebe look 1/2 stop brighter

Nice shot of this with great details, Dennis. Your cloning looks fine to me, I don’t see any evidence.

A nice look at this Black Phoebe. Excellent detail. The face and shoulders could be brightened half to one stop. Yes it is busy but the larger image looks considerably better and I have no trouble focusing on the subject.