Black Phoebe and Repost

I was going through old images looking for something for a demonstration and realized I’d never processed this one from back in February.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I cleaned up some stray twigs along the bottom and one long stick that went from top to bottom toward the left side.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, beanbag on car window, f/7.1, 1/2000, iso 640, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4356x2994. Taken at 11:32 am on February 4th at a California NWR.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

The processing of the plumage is superb. I really enjoy the richness of the black feathers. That said, the BG is a little dark and the separation between dark plumage and BG could be better. The OOF blob lower center left is a little distracting and I would just clone it out.

Dennis, I just love looking a this little guy. I love the lighting, and you captured him so well, with excellent details in his feathers. I am not really bothered by the darkness of the BG. I hadn’t even noticed the blob till I read David’s comment, so now my eye wants to go to it, so maybe clone out would be good. I like the branch that seems to circle back, making him a nice perch. I would be well pleased to call this mine. Great shot and I am glad you went back and found it. :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

Lovely catch of an attractive little bird and the BG matches so well in color. I lovde the darker area on the left that frames the bird. I wonder about a subtle darkening on the right to echo it.

Here’s a repost incorporating some of the suggestions made above. I had been preparing to give a talk to our camera club on Luminosity masks and in reviewing some of @Tony_Kuyper materials, I re-found his tutorial on “Painted Masks”. It struck me that it might be a good way of handling the blacks in birds, so the last two birds I’ve posted here, I’ve used it on the blacks by painting in a Multiply layer on the black areas. It seems to work nicely.

I echo Shirley’s comments concerning the first post. The second post is outstanding in all aspects. Terrific shot right down to getting that beady little eye to show up in that dark face!

Much improved . I will need to look into the TK masking…