A Saturday Walk on the Ramparts

I really liked the shapes of the bunkers and the light on the people, and they lined up nicely. Fortunately I had the right camera with me :slight_smile:

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback welcome.

Technical Details

Leica M9 Monochrom, Zeiss Biogon-C 35, ISO 320, Orange filter. Processed PS 2022.

1 Like

I really like the shapes here too! I also like how the tree branches in upper left corner balance out the massive bunker in the lower right corner, and how both elements frame the people on the path.
Are these bunkers from WWII? It’d be interesting to know their story.
Cool image!

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. These defenses were originally built against the English during the 17th Century Anglo-Dutch war and expanded during the Napoleontic war, 1st and 2nd World War. It is a historical place. William and Mary departed from here to England. Hellevoetsluis was the main naval base up to the beginning of the 20th Century.

Terrific picture and great info on the history. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

A lovely moment you have captured here. As you mentioned, the way the individuals in the frame happened to line up, with not a single “group” intersecting the other, really helps to make this piece even better. As a monochrome image, your tonalities are spot-on: there’s plenty of detail throughout the highlight to shadow range without it feeling too flat overall. And while a part of me wishes to have a bit more of the tree in the frame, the way the branches help draw the eye down to the first couple would have been ruined had more of the tree been included.

Nicely done, for sure.

Thank you. I take no credit for the tonal range :disguised_face: A monochrome camera is far superior to a conversion in this respect :wink:

1 Like