The Gunsite

Decided to keep it local today, nipped out for a quick session at the Coastal Park just down the road from where I live. The path brings you out to a nice view over Leasowe Bay, known as The Gunsite. Picked up this shot late afternoon with the rain clouds rolling in.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I’m still fairly new to photography, so it’s great to hear your feedback. How’s my comp looking and how’s my processing doing? Any other comments?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

A7r3 / FE 70-200mm / Tripod / (no filters)
ISO100 100mm f/11 0.4sec Single Shot
Processed using ACR / PS

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

John, I think you have an artistic gift. You should continue your pursuit of photography. You may be a natural.

Igor, many thanks for the kind words - they are much appreciated

I’m a sucker for “stark” or minimalist compositions, so this one nails it for me. Outstanding layout, and I can’t think of a single change to the processing that would do anything but diminish it. Keep them coming! You have a fan here.

Looks technically great. The comp doesn’t grab me as strong as some, but that’s just personal preference and not a criticism. What are the towers?

Cheers Hank, I think you’ve made my day!

Its early days for me, photography is still very much in the experimental stage. This image was all about composition.

Tried to keep things real clean and simple here with emphasis placed on positioning of the three pylons. For me, I see this group of objects combining together, pulling the eye around the scene in a continuous triangular loop. The dark rain clouds above add some visual interest with their contrasting bright edges, helping the eyes to re-focus and slowing them from drifting upwards out of the scene.

Of course I could be imagining all of this :wink:

Hi John,

Thank you for your comments, I really value your time. I’m glad you appreciate the image from a technical point of view, this side of things is something I’ve been working on a lot.

I’m unsure about the correct term for the towers. They form part of the various sea defence structures around the area. I call them pylons, but I think they’re some kind of navigational beacon? They are positioned at the foot of each of the groynes facing seaward. On a big high tide the structures are almost completely submerged with just the tops showing. The upper section contains electrics and they illuminate at night.

1 Like

John,

Simple yes, but honestly quite masterfully crafted. On the surface this may come across as static, certainly lacks drama, etc., but there is something that is really engaging here. I thought so the first time I viewed this. Those towers/pylons might normally be a distraction, yet there placement, diminishing height/distance and that there’s 3 of them make them an important element. I like the repeat of the mossy rock/island; the one on the edge visually connects with the island in the middle - and it’s important that the mossy island doesn’t merge with the left edge. Then you’ve got the layers of the clouds, sky and sand at the bottom, doing more than framing the scene. Another, small, and perhaps irrelevant observations is that the 3 pylon/towers all cross over the horizon; does that matter? not really, but what if one of them reached all the way to the clouds? Or didn’t cross the horizon line?

I also think the processing is spot on relative to the subject matter.

I’m probably reading way to much in to this… OR am rambling on when I could have just said ditto to what Igor wrote…

You’re off to a great start.

Lon

Lon,

Rambling? Not at all, I genuinely value the time people sacrifice to critique my images. Same goes for all members of this great community. Rest assured, the comments I receive are always given very careful consideration by myself. Whether good or bad, it’s always the right kind of feedback that can greatly assist a fledgling photographer such as I :smile: