A Stand of Trees

This image was made over a year ago in Acadia National Park. It has been sitting in my edit later folder for quite a bit. I just loved the different shapes and gestures of the trees along this trail. It is a pretty well traveled path with some great spots to stop along the way. I paused nearby for about an hour to watch and listen to an owl family. Great memories.

Specific Feedback Requested

My biggest concerns are 1. Is the far right side too empty. 2. Is the far left tree too close to the edge and 3. Is the nearest tree forcing the eye back to the left too much (thus emphasizing the more “empty” right edge.

Processing look ok? B&W isn’t common for me.

Technical Details

3 Likes
  1. Is the far right side too empty.
    no

2. Is the far left tree too close to the edge.
    yes, a bit

3. Is the nearest tree forcing the eye back to the left too much.
    no

I like this image a lot. The b&w rendering is IMO very good. My answers to your questions are no, yes and no.

This caught my eye right away David. It is really beautiful. I love the light on the tree trunks
For your questions, I’m with Igor. The only thing I would try to change is the left tree on the edge. But I hadn’t really noticed that until I read your question! The space on the right looks good to me (I doesn’t even look like space to me), and the prominent tree arcing to the left works well.

@Igor_Doncov Thank you for that, I felt like the right was a bit open and the left too tight. I’ve got another version I’m posting here as an alternative.

@Ola_Jovall Thank you!

@Mark_Muller Thank you! I’m throwing another version up here that may alleviate some of the issue.

Wonderful conversion to B&W, David. I agree with the group on the answers to your questions. I think your crop is fine, but now the darker tree is leaning in from the edge…This might call for going back to the original, increasing the canvas on the left and doing a bit of content-aware fill to give the vertical tree some breathing room…excellent luminosity on the image.

Personally, I like the new version a lot more.

1 Like

Thank you! I think the crop improves it significantly.

Thanks David. I may try to soften up the contrast on that tree a bit so it doesn’t catch the eye.

1 Like