A time of light

If I still lived in NH, I’d be a regular here at the Little River Conservation area in Exeter, NH. It’s too bad it seems a lot of our New England photographers have left us because I think they’d like it if they’ve never been. Beyond the mill and the short stretch of cascades, Dudley brook meanders quietly, joining the Bloody Brook and the Little River along the way. At my feet were the remains of several freshwater mussels; someone’s favorite lunch spot. Probably otters or mink.

Specific Feedback Requested

Even though the water doesn’t have a lot going on, it is so atmospheric that I wanted it to be prominent. Too placid?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod and probably a CPL

Lightroom for this crop, the usual RAW adjustments, sharpening, lens correction, white balance shift, texture up and clarity down. Photoshop to blend another shot that had crisper foliage, but more agitated water. Then I used a variety of luminosity masks and other TK Actions to heighten the feeling of the shot. Also distraction removal.

2 Likes

Kris, the quietly flowing water stands out well here. It looks like a very quiet, peaceful spot. I do think that some burning-in of the brightest bits (top dead center) would help keep the focus on the stream as it disappears around the corner.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver - I did burn up there, but it started to get muddy so I stopped. Do you think it could look ok even if it’s a bit gray?