Backwater

One more watery entry for this week. I’ve tried to present images with a lot of water in them, rather than just a paddling shot with lots of treeline.

This is early in my kayaking career, but so typical of what gives me the most joy - a quiet backwater. This is on the Contoocook river in NH, which is dammed about a million times over its length so creates lots of side channels. Mostly these form where brooks or other rivers join in, but can be so tricky to navigate that you can never find where the tributary actually is.

I’m in the boat and jammed as far back as I could to get most of the pool and a little of the entry point which is the bright area at the back. I remember people going by me on the main channel which is just beyond the trees to the left. They had no idea I was there.

Specific Feedback Requested

Too contrasty? I tend not to paddle on cloudy days so it is what it is. It was also one of, if not the, first time I dared bring my camera on the boat.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld with a polarizer which is the usual for my paddling kit.

Contoocook backwater

Lr for all adjustments including white balance, color management, lens correction and a great deal of highlight and shadow recovery. Mostly shadow since I deliberately underexposed to not blow out the highs. Liberal use of gradient and brush tools to smooth tonalities. A crop to center the view and leave off busy and bright areas on the left.

I’m glad you brought your camera so I can enjoy the scene! And that obviously opened up a lot of new photography. I love the ripple effects and that the distinction between the reflections and the shore is so subtle. Gorgeous greens!

Thanks @Diane_Miller - it took me a few practice runs to feel confident to bring the camera on the boat. But now it’s just fine and I hardly get anything wet, including me. Plus I paddle on very quiet water. I just wish it would hurry up and be spring already.