The Attraction

Description:

Quiet water kayaking is a sublime joy in my life. The first push off the launch. The feeling of buoyancy in body and in mind. The freedom that comes with being off the land and on the water. The serenity of a mirror-smooth lake. All of it comes together to work magic. Add fall and a bluebird sky and you have perfection. Maybe not for photography, but I can make light like this work in fall more than almost any other time.

No color sliders were hurt during the making of this photo. Vibrance & Saturation are at +3. Taken at about 11:20 am.

This is the narrow end of the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage in northern Wisconsin. The flowage was created by damming both the Turtle and the Flambeau rivers to make a lake that covers 13,000 acres. About 1/5 of it is designated as a quiet zone (no loud or fast boats please) and so I put in here and then paddled up the Flambeau for a few hours. It was magical and tranquil and I plan to do it again this fall. I found another launch site on a feeder river that will put me further upstream. I just hope I can find as perfect a day.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Thoughts, impressions and ideas for improvement are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No

Handheld in the boat (duh) -

Lr processed for white balance, black and white points, a panoramic crop and some brush work to bring down the boat somewhat. A graduated filter to even the exposure across the scene and a little lens correction, sharpening & nr.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@the.wire.smith

Very cool. I feel like I’m in the Kayak floating along…where’s my Dramamine? :grinning:

Lovely scene.

1 Like

Looks very quiet, peaceful and inviting, Kris. The midday light does a find job of saturating the colors.

1 Like

I saw this earlier and thought that was probably your kayak, and then somehow didn’t get back to it. Glad I did – the autumn color is gorgeous, and one of the perfect situations to shoot in bright sun. I hope you got hundreds of treescapes that day!

1 Like

Thanks everyone. The fall colors here are even of shorter duration than in NH so I get out as much as I can - chores be damned. I did get a lot of treescapes as it happens, Diane. It was pretty unrelenting light, but the colors were intense. I haven’t been in the boat in a week and it feels weird. Maybe this weekend.