A Tiny Bit of Heaven

This is an old photo, taken from the Seward Highway, just outside of Anchorage, Alaska. A huge, dark storm was breaking up and I was taking photos of the sunset as the sun broke through the clouds. I happened to turn around and look up and realized I was missing a display that was prettier than the sunset. The orange color on the underside of the clouds and in the bottom left corner was a result of the sunset reflecting off the inlet water.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony DSC-R1 @ 15.7 mm, ISO-160, f/5.6, 1/50, hand held.

2 Likes

This grabs my attention as it is so unusual, to me, anyway. I love the range of colors and the shapes! The dark mist in the UR is reaching out to the illuminated cloud in the LL, with the softer clouds behind adding depth.

Wow, this is one fantastic sky! Love this Gary! A fantastic example of why we turn our heads to the skies.

Not sure if this was intentional, but I see the tag you used was #1033-storms . did you mean to use the current them of #1048-sky-phenomena? I can change if you like. FYI…

Wonderful image!

Lon

Heavenly indeed! Love the warm glow that flows into the image from the LLC all the way to the dark underside of the darker clouds on top. The gentle highlights in the softly swirling larger cloud behind the smaller, more angular and closer clouds provide a dramatic division of the image on two planes and the soft, pastel blue sky showing through is exquisite. Your image has great staying power, not an easy thing to achieve with cloud images.

Fascinating, Gary, I haven’t seen colored skies from sunlight reflecting off the water before. In addition to the colored clouds, you’ve got that touch of blue and a fine mix of other clouds throughout the frame.

Wonderful combination of colors, tones, and shapes. It looks like a painting. Heavenly, indeed!

Wow, Gary, there’s so much depth here. Well seen!

Really nice formations in the clouds with excellent color and textures.

Thanks, Lon! I didn’t see the 1048 tag so I picked the storms tag as the scene was the result of a fading storm. Yes, please change the tag for me!

This MUST be one of the entry points to the afterlife!

Wonderful image Gary. The colours, textures, tones are all so inviting.